Airport train

I'm coming to BKK in a few weeks, and will be staying in a hotel in Chatuchak area. I'm thinking of getting the airport link train and then BTS to the nearest station (5 mins walk to hotel). But will it be noticeably quicker and cheaper than getting a taxi?

The main advantage is that if you take the airport train and BTS the time will be fairly fixed the only variable is how long you have to wait for a train but you should be in your hotel in about an hour. If you take a taxi and arrive when the traffic is quiet you will be in your hotel in about 30 minutes but if you arrive when the traffic is very bad it will be nearer 90 minutes. I normally arrive in bangkok at about 8pm on a Friday and it very rarely takes me more than 1 hour to get to Sukhumvit Road area.. The train will probably save you about BHT100 or BHT150 compared to a taxi.

But the real downside of the train is lugging your luggage about. The BTS is not designed for people with big suitcases and a 5 minute walk down hot humid and crowded bangkok streets is not nice experience

After thinking long and hard(Yes...my head hurts!),and extensive research on other forums,I've come to the conclusion that the best way to go is to take the airport link to Makkasan,and get a taxi from there to Asoke(Where the condo.where I'm staying is).

On the taxi side you save the 50baht airport surcharge and don't have to pay the hi-way tolls.From Makkasan to Sukhumvit ,it's only a 5 minute taxi ride.

Taking your luggage to the airport link is the same distance(If not closer)as going to the taxi stand.

No problems with airport taxi drivers,either!

Food for thought

After thinking long and hard(Yes...my head hurts!),and extensive research on other forums,I've come to the conclusion that the best way to go is to take the airport link to Makkasan,and get a taxi from there to Asoke(Where the condo.where I'm staying is).

On the taxi side you save the 50baht airport surcharge and don't have to pay the hi-way tolls.From Makkasan to Sukhumvit ,it's only a 5 minute taxi ride.

Taking your luggage to the airport link is the same distance(If not closer)as going to the taxi stand.

No problems with airport taxi drivers,either!

Food for thought

Sounds like a good idea as long as u dont have too many heavy luggage to carry on to the airport link.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I have just come back from Thailand in June and after reading threads about the airport train, i thought i would give it a go.

I arrived at Swampy flying from Phuket at aroung 16.00ish including security/baggage etc and went for the airport train, as (ianjamesmax) says it is not as far as the taxi ranks. I paid 45bht for the stopper to Phaya Thai then changed to the BTS to Nana buying a 200bht rabbit card (i use the BTS all the time so hence why i bought a rabbit card). Although i did get the stopper, i did not see an express train pass us. I work on the railways back home so i was doing a bit of infrastructure spotting and was waiting for it to pass (sad i know). 

The journey itself was good, i had space with my case on the airport train but had to stand on the BTS but i was out the way not beiing a pain to passengers getting on/off. I think the journey took about 45mins and my hotel was in soi 11/1 and was 100mtrs away from Nana BTS. 

I would try this option again but when flying home, i get a taxi from BKK as i need to be at Swampy for around 7.00am ish and i heart my snooze button lol!!

Pat

• Upvote 1