Airport train

I guess that for most people arriving to Bangkok, after taking the new train they will then need to get the skytrain and possibly a taxi as well (especially if carrying luggage) in order to get to their hotel. It costs me 350 baht to get a taxi door to door, airport to Sukhumvit Soi 8. The saving on the train will be about 100 baht - not really worth considering after a 12 hour flight.

• 4 months later...

I guess that for most people arriving to Bangkok, after taking the new train they will then need to get the skytrain and possibly a taxi as well (especially if carrying luggage) in order to get to their hotel. It costs me 350 baht to get a taxi door to door, airport to Sukhumvit Soi 8. The saving on the train will be about 100 baht - not really worth considering after a 12 hour flight.

I agree to this. Taking taxi cost 100Baht more and you will not be seen as a cheap charlie when you arrive at hotel in taxi.

• 6 months later...

I agree to this. Taking taxi cost 100Baht more and you will not be seen as a cheap charlie when you arrive at hotel in taxi.

Talking to the taxi driver can be a great source of information for newbies and also the latest scoop on what is happening in BKK. It was almost the best source of information on my first trip.. Sure I searched all over. but the driver was great, and really put me at ease in the big Mango.

A friend took it recently. He said its not really a good option if you have more than a carry-on bag/and or a backpack. I'd just pay the little extra for a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Airport Rail to my hotel the Westin Grande Sukhumvit by Asok last month. It cost me 75 baht (45 for the Airport Rail Link and 30 on the BTS from Phaya Thai to Asok) and took an hour (15 minute wait at Suvarnabhumi because I missed the train, 30 minutes to Phaya Thai and 15 minutes to Asok and the Westin).

I exited the baggage pickup just ten minutes after my flight landed, but this was about 3 pm and rush hour. I taxi would have cost me ~300-350 baht and the same time.

Pros:

- A lot of space on the train if you're boarding at the first stop at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

- Low cost of 45 baht to Phaya Thai.

- You get a nice scenic view of Greater Bangkok on the ride in.

Cons:

- You have to carry your luggage down a lot of flights of stairs wherever you're getting off. I had to carry mine down six flights total. I'm pretty fit and the airport counter said it was only 18 kg, but carrying anything like a cumbersome rectangular case down six flights of stairs in 31-degree celsius humid weather hurts.

Final verdict:

- I would take the Airport Rail again BUT ONLY if I were on my own. The 200 baht saving paid for my dinner that night. With two of more people it's better just to get a taxi. I've stayed by Asok on both previous trips now so my location made it easier.

• 4 months later...

I think they made a mistake by not connecting straight to the skytrain. ok if your traveling light but if you have full cases its to much hassel just get the good old taxi. got a drivers number just phone him he always turs up on time.

The post from Adore was quite spot on.

Incedentally, at Phaya Thai, they have a lift and that will help you avoid the steps.

I love the fact that you no longer have to worry about traffic, taxi drivers behaving like lunatics and/or not putting the meter on.

BTW, it is possible to purchase some kind of smart card for the Sky train, add soem credit to it and save yourself looking for spare change.

Dieter :unsure:

Hrmm, last time I was on the skytrain they didn't have reloadable cards. Is this new?

Not sure about the airport train, but the skytrain has had reloadable cards for many years. I have bought them from the booth at both the Nana and Asoke BTS stations (pretty sure you can purchase them at any of the stations), and you can add baht to the card at the booth of any of the BTS stations.

Well hell, I've been getting those pre-paid single-use cards every time.

There are actually a few options for prepaid.

There is a single day pass - cost something like 120-150 baht. This pass is valid for as many trips are you want to take on the BTS for a sinlge day. Very good if you want to visit several locations in BKK using the BTS in one day.

Then there are a couple of different types of smart passes:

30 day smart pass - this type you pay based upon the number of trips. For example you can prepay for 15, 25, 25....etc trips. The trips have to be used in the 30 day window. This type of card is good for people who use the BTS to communte to work or school - pretty sure students get an even further discounted rate when they purchase this type of card. The more trips you prepay for the higher the discount. But the trips are valid for only 30 days. Any trips you don't use are wasted.

Stored value smart pass - this type to pay something like 20-50 baht for the card. Then you give them baht that is stored on the card. When you use the card the amount of the fair is automatically deducted. The card is valid for several years, and I am pretty sure the stored value remains for over one year. So you card can be a good deal even if you only make one trip to BKK every year. There is no discount in the fair value, but you don't have to que up to by a ticket for every portion of a trip, nor worry about getting change to use on the BTS.

The is also a kind of frequent traveller type card - called Nuduan or something like that. This is some kind of credit building/ discount card - kind of like an airline frequent flyer system. The more you spend/ the more trips you take, the more "credits" you accumulate. This card has an application process - so I never messed about finding out the details. The application process is just a matter of giving name and address, not really a type of thing where you get denied. I think they send you coupons and the like to the address you supply in the appliation - for discounts for various coffee shops, movies, McDonalds, etc. So you can use the "credits/points" to get more coupons/discounts for various BKK shops, or to buy things like key chains and pens, etc thru the Nuduan/BTS system. Pretty sure you can get a Nuduan type card for either the 30 day pass or the stored use type cards.

• 1 year later...

As a expat (not in Thailand, unfortunately) I travel to BKK quite often and usually I took an airport link (except issues when my plane arrives after midnight). Why? The answer is:I usually stay near by Soi Cowboy and connection: train + MRT (you have to walk 3-4 min between stations) is much faster than a taxi. The same when I fly back. Going to airport by taxi during rush hours is pain in the ass.

t.