Airport train

I saw the station by the Asok BTS station, it wasn't too far from the hotel I was staying at, the only problem I see is my flights always arrive really late and leave early, so I would not be able to use it

That was the Sukhumvit subway station you saw next to Asok BTS...the new train to the airport doesn't go anywhere near Sukhumvit, and the nearest station to Asok (Ratchada at that point) is near the Petchburi subway station a ways north of Sukhumvit.

That was the Sukhumvit subway station you saw next to Asok BTS...the new train to the airport doesn't go anywhere near Sukhumvit, and the nearest station to Asok (Ratchada at that point) is near the Petchburi subway station a ways north of Sukhumvit.

If you look at the map the makkasan station is just up Asok from the Sukhimvit station beside the Phetchaburi station, Less than "a ways north" to me, just one stop. and yes it was the actual makkasan station, my taxi driver pointed it out to me.

bangkok-map.png

Edited by kdogg

• 1 month later...

I'll be there in July. Can anyone confirm the news story below that says the train will be open in July?

NEWS UPDATE... 29th April, 2010

Soft launch of Airport Rail Link suspended due to political turmoil

BANGKOK, April 29 (TNA) – Thailand's Ministry of Transport has postponed its April 30 soft opening of the Airport Rail Link for safety reasons but commercial service will operate in July as scheduled, said Minister Sophon Zarum.

The suspension followed the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) concern over the safety of commuters who would use the test-run Airport Rail Link service planned to take place on April 30.

r Sophon, however, assurances that the postponement will not affect its commercial service in July. When the political situation eases, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) will test rail and safety systems in preparation to the official opening. However, the SRT offers a test ride for government officials or employees of private companies upon request in a group of 100 or 200 persons.

Mr Sophon said that Airport Rail Link’s route from Phaya Thai station to Suvarnbhumi Airport station currently is in sensitive areas which need special monitoring after attacks occurred in the past week, including at explosions at BTS Skytrain’s Sala Daeng station. Consequently the ministry will postpone the soft launch and no date has been set at the moment, the minister explained. The 28-kilometre Airport Rail Link project connecting Suvarnabhumi Airport with the city centre, began the special test run to the public on December5. The SRT expects to serve up to 50,000 commuters daily. (TNA

I haven't seen anything official since before the red shirt protests. At that time I saw dates ranging between July, August, and as late as Dec.

I posted on another thread here, that some times they like to kick off things like this around royal events (like the Queen or Kings birthday). The Queens birthday is August 12th, and the Kings birthday is Dec 5. Based on not seeing anything reported recently, I think things are likely running behind schedule (even further behind), and I doubt they will make it in August, and my be lucky to get it together by December.

There seems to be quite a bit of bickering back n' forth between contractors as to who is responsible for the delay, and this seems to have caused even further delay related to getting certifictions.

Meter Taxi to lower Sukhumvit Outside of rush hour is 200ish baht on meter and if I choose to use the Toll way, another 70 in fees. (usually round up and add 100bt- mostly because I'm Happy to be back here.)

30 minutes MAX. Air-con. Direct from Departures(!) to the front door. 20-30 times I've done this. More than 1 person more value and less effort.

I just don't see how the Airport train is going to be an advantage as a single traveler, more than 1 person I can see it only as a disadvantage.

Getting to Airport train, the ride ( Will it be crowded? Standing room only?)-Getting off the train-, Will I have to wait for a taxi here as I'm sure others have gotton off the train from airport?. then the Taxi to front door.

So total cost? say 200 for AT, 50-100 for taxi and your in for 300ish will take more time and little or more luggage only adds to the hassle. Family ? Kids? less value and more effort.

When it opens I'll have a ride for the novelty and to give it a chance, But Honestly I don't think it will be more than a 1 time thing. Unless they do away with the taxis, but that would just be foolish . But then again TiT.

I just don't see how the Airport train is going to be an advantage as a single traveler, more than 1 person I can see it only as a disadvantage.

The advantage I see is that there will be less people in line at the taxi stand. :P

I agree.

Especially considering that when it first starts operation it will not connect to both the MRT, and BTS. Meaning that one will likely still need to get a taxi to get to their hotel eventually.

It's not like Tokyo where a taxi to the city will cost well over $100 USD. Or where they have a board at the airport to show the traffic conditions in the city - so you can take the train (rather than the bus) to avoid getting stuck in traffic.

When it eventually does connect to both the MRT, and BTS - then I can see a possible advantage as it relates to traffic. If you end up arriving at a time where you are heading into BKK during the evening rush hours, you might be able to save some time by using the train system.

Also if they do something like in KL where you can buy a discounted travel pass for multiple trips on the airport train - then there might be a cost saving for the single traveler.

Looks like it will be running soon:

http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1030087

Airport Link Starts Test Run Tomorrow

UPDATE : 31 May 2010

The train linking the Suvarnabhumi Airport to the Phayathai area will open for test runs from tomorrow onwards. The general public will be allowed to use the train for free from tomorrow to August 2010.

Just an update for anyone intrested:

Trips available on Airport Link test run

Published: 31/05/2010 at 04:12 PM

Online news: News Updates

Members of the public will be able to take a test ride on the Airport Rail Link train from now until Friday night, State Railway of Thailand governor Yutthana Thapcharoen said on Monday.

The test ride will run from Phaya Thai station to Suvarnabhumi airport and there will be no stops along the way.

The trains will leave every 20 minutes. The trip will take about 25 minutes.

The test runs began today and will continue until Friday, from 7 to 10am, and from 4 to 7pm.

Anyone interested can call 1690, 02-222-0175 and 02-220-2468 or visit railway.

BANGKOK, June 1 (TNA) - The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) on Tuesday conducted a test run of the the Thai capital's Airport Rail Link, attracting passengers to try free rides.

Eighteen trains are initially operating from 7-10 am and 4-7pm, on express runs from Phayathai station to the Suvarnabhumi Airport station without a stop at other stations.

Each trip takes about 22 minutes. However, the baggage check-in system is not yet open. Two more stops at Hua Mark station and Ramkhamhaeng station will be operated in mid-month and other stations will open later to complete all eight stations.

Permanent Secretary for Transport Supoj Saplom co-chaired the test run launch Tuesday.He said free rides will be offered until commercial service opens on August 12 to celebrate Her Majesty Queen Sirikit's birthday.

Fares will start at 15 baht and increase by five baht for each station to a maximum fare of 45 baht while nonstop Airport Express Trains will cost 150 baht. The passenger capacity is some 600-700 persons for each train. An integrated ticketing system will be applied later linking with the elevated BTS Skytrain, the MRT subway and buses.

More: mcot

airport link.jpg

Edited by jonerich