Taxi fares

My previous experiences with the taxis were mixed. One took a huge detour during a non-peak hours I think around 2-3pm and another took a huge detour at peak hours to avoid the jam. Best to take the mrt/BTS or walk if you can.

3 hours ago, elitebook2 said:

How many of you will not take a motorbike taxi for safety concerns.  I have to admit that I have been uncomfortable with some of their antics, but haven't had any close calls.

I reluctantly use motosai taxis, mainly due to traffic congestion. Sure, my concerns are safety related but like you, have had no close calls to date.. . (Although I’m still haunted by memories and injuries from a major motorbike accident I had at home years ago).  Having said that, I’m reassured by Thai riders’ skills and experience combined with the courtesy shown to motosais by other motorists.

10 hours ago, elitebook2 said:

How many of you will not take a motorbike taxi for safety concerns.  I have to admit that I have been uncomfortable with some of their antics, but haven't had any close calls.

I took it once and kinda like it but I was on a solo trip so it was probably fine.

If you are with someone or with your family, probably better to either take the BTS or MRT or car taxis.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you go back and forth between Nana and Cowboy?  Motorbike taxi, tuktuk,  car taxi or skytrain?

I have to admit that at Cowboy closing time and the vultures are waiting at either end of the soi, I take the cheapest option, which is a motorbike taxi.  I suppose walking would be cheaper, but when the night is done, I just want to get back to the hotel.

I think I tried uber last time I was in Bangkok and there was no service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 1:42 AM, elitebook2 said:

How do you go back and forth between Nana and Cowboy?  Motorbike taxi, tuktuk,  car taxi or skytrain?

I have to admit that at Cowboy closing time and the vultures are waiting at either end of the soi, I take the cheapest option, which is a motorbike taxi.  I suppose walking would be cheaper, but when the night is done, I just want to get back to the hotel.

I think I tried uber last time I was in Bangkok and there was no service.

You can try use Grab or Bolt apps.  They are like Grab, essentially.

I've used Grab in KL, Singapore, Bali and also BKK when I made my first visit in August 2019. Easy app to use and you can update the phone number when you get a local SIM card in whichever country you are visiting. Now that E-SIMS are a thing, you can even have your local number activated and ready to go before you even leave your home for the airport (phone dependent)

Best thing about Grab is that it's fixed price, no matter how long it takes to get there and you can choose different levels of drivers/vehicles. I'm quite happy to pay a small surcharge for a 5* driver or luxury vehicle (not available in all countries)

Nothing better than a nice model Mercedes or Toyota Vellfire (they were in KL) turning up for your ride 😀

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I visited Thailand for a couple weeks with a buddy. Honestly, a 30min cab ride costing 500baht? That's like 10 bucks split between my friend and I so i didn't really bother price haggling too much...these guys work hard and a lot of drivers i had seemed like genuine nice people - often times i lowered price by a hundred baht and still paid full price cause i truly respect the grind these people do every day. The 100 baht i am saving is peanuts compared to how much it helps them out in their day-to-day life. 

I also like to be a good person every now and then 🙂

• Like 2