Taxi fares

Looking at my 2019 taxi fare from BKK to my hotel on Sukhumvit it came to 450 baht.  It's a bit higher as I just rounded the payment up.  That includes the tolls as well.

Also, as for fuel prices, I thought the Thai government subsidized fuel prices to keep them low?  But even if they didn't, the fair seems a bit high.  Maybe more rigged meters?

Taxi driving is a good earner.

I have had taxi driver friends tell me they clear 30,000 a month and that wasn't even in Bangkok. It was a big upcountry city.

I think we vastly underestimate what locals earn in most cases.

Standard Thai massage will earn about 20,000 a month (including tips of course). My EX is doing that now.

She used to work in an American pub on Sukhumvit and even 10 years ago was making 15,000-20,000 including service charge and tips.

7 minutes ago, NanAtSOL said:

Taxi driving is a good earner.

I have had taxi driver friends tell me they clear 30,000 a month and that wasn't even in Bangkok. It was a big upcountry city.

I think we vastly underestimate what locals earn in most cases.

Standard Thai massage will earn about 20,000 a month (including tips of course). My EX is doing that now.

She used to work in an American pub on Sukhumvit and even 10 years ago was making 15,000-20,000 including service charge and tips.

I know I am getting off topic, but I was at Vinai's Bar on Patpong last night and they were saying that next month the bottles are going from 110 up to 120 cos of inflation.

We were talking about all the different things that have increased in price (cooking oil, pork, etc etc)

She was like, "Everything more expensive, but women is same price"

I said, "Yeah, but women have always been expensive "

She said, "No, not expensive. Just 2000 or 3000"

My jaw hit the floor and I replied, "I rarely pay more than 1000"

She couldn't believe it and asked me where I get those prices. 

I dunno. Am I out of touch or is she?

Edited by NanAtSOL
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, NanAtSOL said:

I know I am getting off topic, but I was at Vinai's Bar on Patpong last night and they were saying that next month the bottles are going from 110 up to 120 cos of inflation.

We were talking about all the different things that have increased in price (cooking oil, pork, etc etc)

And on this note, I was also in the Old Other Office and they were charging 130 a bottle.

I seem to recall it being 120 before.

At least they are only moving up 10 baht. Not as drastic as other things.

On 7/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, NanAtSOL said:

That are the new prices at Vinai's Bar on Patpong l

2022-08-03 14-34-42.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Rocky Rockstar said:

On the subject of taxis is it possible to pay for your taxi from the airport (Swampy) by credit card at the airport before you go? Also does Grab still work in Thailand?

Yeah, grab still is the way to go. There are a few news ones like Bolt too, but grab is still the most established. 

Don’t know about using a card at the airport. Not through the normal system I wouldn’t imagine as you still give the cash to the driver.

• Upvote 1

Bolt would be the go to app for transportation if they would implement/activate card payment in Thailand. Only cash and that's limiting the usage.

Grab is more expensive but allows card payment and therefor is just more convenient. It's just a no brainer.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, Rocky Rockstar said:

On the subject of taxis is it possible to pay for your taxi from the airport (Swampy) by credit card at the airport before you go?

I've never seen regular taxis accept credit cards here, but you can use credit cards for AOT limo at BKK airport.  It's more expensive (about $30 for SUV option to downtown), but reliable, clean, and convenient.  

• 3 months later...