Taxi fares

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

If you are staying in central Bangkok areas - be warned no taxi is using a meter. An absolute disgrace. Rip off fares are back but now on steroids. 

Wow, how bad is it? How mych the usual trip cost now?

14 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

If you are staying in central Bangkok areas - be warned no taxi is using a meter. An absolute disgrace. Rip off fares are back but now on steroids. 

When they try to pull that you just tell them to pull over. It funny how fast that meter comes on.

• Upvote 1

On all my taxi trips in BKK for 7-days I only had 2 instances where they would not use the meter, but they quoted a near-fair price.  All other taxi trips they used the meters without even asking.

Maybe it's your breath?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, offcon said:

Got here last night.  Cost was 250 baht without tip.  I had him drop me off at the S15 Hotel, which is kiddie corner from Thermal Cafe.  We used the toll about 0100.

Pretty normal fare from memory, and one I'd be happy to pay.

Last week I got a taxi from Four Points to Airport and the door man said it was 500 baht, so I asked why the driver could not use the meter and was told 500 baht.

I could not be bothered arguing over it and got in and as we left the taxi driver said "Hotel Mafia" and that had to pay the hotel 200 of the 500 baht fare.

I raised this with the hotel once home and doorman has been spoken to and staff reminded to move along any taxi wanting a fixed fare.

For those traveling light and during the operating hours, the Airport link and MRT or BTS are easy and cheap.

• Like 1

From my experience it is far harder to get a taxi that uses a meter in Bangkok nowadays.  Surely in this day and age of electronic gizmos there could be a system where as the meter, or other activator  detects persons other than the driver in the car and if the meter is not switched on. then the vacancy light. or roof light flashes, or whatever. I think the remedy for non cooperating drivers is would be IT based. No point in arguing with the pricks.