Taxi fares

8 minutes ago, George Fox said:

Any recommendation for a particular taxi company or service? Arriving at Swampy. 

Go to the taxi rank, get a ticket and go to the taxi that you are assigned.  Make sure they start the meter. Easy.

For taxis when in Bangkok, use the Bolt app.

Edit: If you are on a budget or want to avoid traffic and your hotel is close to the BTS or Metro lines, take the Aiport Rail Link (45 baht) then change to the BTS at the end station.  Efficient and relaxing.

Edited by MidniteM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MidniteM said:

Go to the taxi rank, get a ticket and go to the taxi that you are assigned.  Make sure they start the meter. Easy.

Edit: If you are on a budget or want to avoid traffic and your hotel is close to the BTS or Metro lines, take the Aiport Rail Link (45 baht) then change to the BTS at the end station.  Efficient and relaxing.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 10:35 PM, MidniteM said:

The airport rail line is fine but if you have a lot of luggage, it is better to take a taxi

Nope, as far as I know it has not gone up.  It's about the same price as grab.  I checked on grab how much it'll cost to go to asok area from the airport but I took the taxi because it was a lot easier and faster cuz I didn't have to wait for the grab to arrive.  With the meter on the price on the taxi was about 20-50 baht more by the time i got to my airbnb, total was about 350-400 baht I forgot exactly how much.  

With fuel price increases, taxi drivers are basically stuffed. They cannot change the meters. (legally) Only DLT can allow change to the meter rates, And that includes a lot of hoop jumping. Even with a doubling of fuel prices, the taxi's are stuck with it. There is no provision in meters for a fuel levy. Yes, I know that many drivers try differant  scams, my suggestion is simply  tell the driver to use the meter and receive a tip. Most of them are hard working with families to support. I do note that Kerry now charge a fuel levy for parcel deliveries 

Cheap taxis are one of the great things about BKK.  I used to live right next to the Punnawithi BTS station way out by soi 101.  After the train stopped for the night, taxi was the only way to get home, but it was only just over 100 baht from Nana which is like 15-20 km away.  Back home in NZ that'd be at least a $60 NZD taxi.

I always use the airport link from Suvarnabhumi, but I've gotten from DMK to Terminal 21 for about 200 before.  Great stuff.

I always try to take the rail link when I arrive. Unfortunately on my upcoming trip, I'll be arriving around midnight, so not an option. On my trip in 2015, I took the board members advice and queued up in the taxi rank. Got my chit and hopped in the taxi. The driver refused to turn on the meter and told me the fare to Nana area was 500. It was only my 2nd trip to Thailand and 1st time going into Bangkok proper, so I didn't want to rock the boat. 

Even though it's only about 150 baht difference, this trip I'm going to stick to my guns and just get out of the taxi if the driver refuses to turn on the meter. Because of high fuel prices, I still plan on giving the driver 500 regardless. For me, it's just the principle of the situation.

Edited by burly.bob
Autocorrect/Grammar
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, burly.bob said:

I always try to take the rail link when I arrive. Unfortunately on my upcoming trip, I'll be arriving around midnight, so not an option. On my trip in 2015, I took the board members advice and queued up in the taxi rank. Got my chit and hopped in the taxi. The driver refused to turn on the meter and told me the fare to Nana area was 500. It was only my 2nd trip to Thailand and 1st time going into Bangkok proper, so I didn't want to rock the boat. 

Even though it's only about 150 baht difference, this trip I'm going to stick to my guns and just get out of the taxi if the driver refuses to turn on the meter. Because of high fuel prices, I still plan on giving the driver 500 regardless. For me, it's just the principle of the situation.

Keep hold of the chit, don't let the driver take it off you.

If they try it on, just get out, take the chit back to the desk and explain.

He'll likely have changed his mind and turned on the meter before you get half way to the desk.

• Like 2

Just got to bkk. Took the taxi and the fair was 700b. Meter 550b + 50b highway + 100b big luggage (bicycle). Seems like the fair has gone up. Ride was from airport to my hotel in asok.  These extra fees is what I’ve been paying the last 3 times I was in Thailand. Normally the meter read 300-400b then plus the normal highway 50b and my bike bag 100b

• Like 1