Hotels to stay AWAY from?

I remembered I spent one night a few years ago in Park Hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 7, opposite and a little up from Beer Garden.

A one-night stand hotel, rather tatty. Had a cockroach in the shower.

Never again.

Bonk - I've stayed in a dozen hotels in Bangkok.   In my experience there is usually 1 cockroach in the shower when you get to the room.  I kinda look forward to that now.   

There was 1 place I stayed on Sukhumvit Soi 24 or so that didn't have a roach.   The internet service was terrible there.  

There was no roach when I stayed at Nana hotel either, but you only get 30 mins of free internet a day there.   

-Tex

If you want to monger you need a hotel that is Girl Friendly i.e. does not charge a visitor fee.

Ambassador Hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 11 charges 800 bahts, as I found out. So it's off my list now.

Rajah Hotel in Soi Nana is run down and ghastly.

Web site Bangkok Tonite has a list of GF hotels.

I used the Ambassador in Nov 2013.

I had booked for two and never had any trouble.

I was in the new tower wing and didn't have to go anywhere near reception, so that might have had something to do with it.

Once, a staff member asked my TG and I where we were going, but didn't stop us.

MyTG had stayed with me on several occasions in Citrus 13 and President Palace so I trusted her and didn't bother to have her hand in her ID at the Ambassador.

The Rembrant Hotel has a no guest policy as I discovered with no option to pay a joining fee. Checked out the next day never been back. What really pissed me off was the doorman after my girl was turned away suggested for a tip (500B) he could help. Just wait in my room and there would be a knock on my door in 10 minutes time.

The girl soon found us a place for the night no questions.

I was charged for joiner at Winsor Suites and Royal Parkview. Would never stay at either again, especially the latter which is a dump anyway.

I had problems at the Windsor Suites too.

Joiner fee plus hassle from the security.

Never stay there again,which is a shame as the suite rooms and location was really nice.

I had problems at the Windsor Suites too.

Joiner fee plus hassle from the security.

Never stay there again,which is a shame as the suite rooms and location was really nice.

I didn't have a problem at Windsor w/ a joiner fee.   I booked through Agoda w/ 2 people.   I checked in by myself and told them my girlfriend would be in late as she had gone back to her apartment to get clothes.    

They did put her name on the reservation when I walked in with her later during the day.   Once at the elevators we were stopped to confirm her ID and that she was the same girl as on the reservation.  

You can't take your own drinks to the pool.  Pool closes early.  

The upstairs restaurant had a special on the roasted suckling pig.    They also served variations of shark fin soup.   

Pig was good.   Soup wasn't.   

Overall I'd pass on this hotel again as it wasn't really joiner friendly due to the looks we got and checking her ID against the roster.  

Given the reported decline in the number of visitors caused by the political unrest I wonder how some of these places can survive. If your target customers are people on vacation I would have thought being guest friendly has to be a given for all hotels close to Cowboy and Nana. Thai logic again I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. Most people are more likely to complain rather than compliment.

One tip is to filter the reviews by "Solo travelers" (not sure of the exact terminology) and the reviews are most likely by mongers.

Suddenly "the disgusting hotel full of prostitutes" becomes "the best hotel on Bangkok"

I couldn't agree more. People will spontaneously write bad reviews when they're pissed, but are less likely to take the time to say how nice a place was. Excellent point about the "solo travelers" option! 

Although it'd kind of obvious, Suk 11 is NOT GF at all and it genuinely does SUCK in every sense of the term...

• 4 weeks later...