Hotels to stay AWAY from?

Hi guys;

A lot of request for good hotels in this thread, but seriously everyone has their own opinions, and there are hundreds of hotels here being recommended. I would like to know if there is any hotel that has gotten the "never again! assholes!" result from any of you? I am coming to Bangkok in Feb, and am still in the looking phrase, so hotels that are BAD is a good thing for me to know, as I AM trying to go cheap on the hotel so I can spurge on the girls and food. I am looking for bad attitude of the staff, bad run-down rooms with broken devices (ESPECIALLY the a/c!), getting more "love" from the bugs than the girls, too expensive for what you actually got, etc. Thank you, everyone.

People are prone to only put up good reviews though. I take any negative review seriously.

I dont agree with that, as i have seen many negative reviews on these sites, and it is easy to tell which is someone complaining just for the sake of it, and which ones have genuine points. for example one hotel i was really interested in and heard good reviews before, but checking again just before booking it revealed that their was a major buliding contruction site next door going 24/7. I booked somewhere else, but in the same area. when going past this hotel one day the noise was deafening and i was glad i had check the reviews before booking.

i feel that the wholesalers who advertise for the hotel bookings would not really have too much in the way of bad hotels .. and as others mention, it is advisable to read the guests reviews of there stays / experiences .. only a minority place bad reports and often they are based on "one single event" going wrong ..

best advice is to stay away from those which are not placed in the wholesalers sites ..

good to have this question here though, as i am sure there must be some that do not provide what they advertise .. being a bad hotel will only lead for its closure, and with all the competition about, they are not able to afford a bad report / review

smiles

pete mac

• 1 month later...

Royal Asia Lodge in Soi 8 is great for proximity to Nana. It is a short walk from the sky train. I have had about ten decent experiences here. But last year both in February and in August I found the place had literally deteriorated over night. The friendly and efficient staff that had been running the place were gone. Still under the same ownership, an Indian family. But everything seemed to have changed. The swimming pool was polluted and the jacuzzi had not water in it. Breakfast was no longer a buffet, it was just a few slices of toast and warmed up rice from the day previous.

Whilst I have always been accepting of the aging rooms for the price, this time they were not even clean. Used to like the wild scummy feel of the place, could take anyone back there and to what you wanted. This time however even the in room safe did not work. No help from any of them. I notice on agodo they have what appear to be a lot of phoney reviews, with overly obvious names, such as John Smith! giving good review.

avoid at all costs.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Although not completely immune to bogus reviews,  Agoda's reviews are generally more reliable than Trip Advisors, as Agoda only lets you write a review after check out on hotels booked through Agoda while No proof or verification needed that you actually even stayed at the hotel you're reviewing on Trip Advisor. 

People are prone to only put up good reviews though. I take any negative review seriously.

I disagree. Most people are more likely to complain rather than compliment.

One tip is to filter the reviews by "Solo travelers" (not sure of the exact terminology) and the reviews are most likely by mongers.

Suddenly "the disgusting hotel full of prostitutes" becomes "the best hotel on Bangkok"

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to monger you need a hotel that is Girl Friendly i.e. does not charge a visitor fee.

Ambassador Hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 11 charges 800 bahts, as I found out. So it's off my list now.

Rajah Hotel in Soi Nana is run down and ghastly.

Web site Bangkok Tonite has a list of GF hotels.