Where do I need to eat to get the full experience?

I agree that Thai food can be very spicy especially if you are a type who doesn't like spicy foods. But for those who are actually like spicy food I think you try out some food stalls first on the streets. They actually have the native thai taste that you want to experience. There are also some Thai restaurants that you might want to try but I recommend you go first with the street food as a start.

• 4 weeks later...

Some thaifood from markets!  :P

Plahgat

attachicon.gifmat 2.JPG

attachicon.gifmat.JPG

Markets, small family run restaurants and street food is the most enticing for me.

I always run for the stick meats when I hit the ground. 

LOS Foods (1).jpg

LOS Foods (2).jpg

LOS Foods (3).jpg

LOS Foods (4).jpg

LOS Foods (5).jpg

LOS Foods (6).jpg

LOS Foods (8).jpg

LOS Foods (9).jpg

LOS Foods (12).jpg

LOS Foods (13).jpg

LOS Foods (14).jpg

LOS Foods (15).jpg

LOS Foods (16).jpg

LOS Foods (19).jpg

LOS Foods (21).jpg

LOS Foods (22).jpg

LOS Foods (23).jpg

Do not be afraid to try whatever you see that looks appetizing. If you do not like it try something else. No one can tell you what is "the best" as tastes are subjective and entirely personal. I like my food truly Thai spicy and even eat bugs after my last trip. I had Isaan Som tam last trip and had tears in the corner of my eyes. I loved every minute of it even if slightly masochistic.

So go forth and just wander about the many markets and enjoy yourself and always remember to smile!

Went to Thailand in March, didn't get much of a "good Thai" food and "authentic Thai".

1.) Had no idea where to find the street food. Heard there's at Chinatown or chattuchak market. Went to Chinatown but nothing's there and the people around there told us we cane to the wrong time lol and didn't go to chattuchak market cause too far.

2.) Having a picky boyfriend with you is hard ????????????

We mostly ate in siam paragon "food court", terminal 21 "food court", sian centre restaurants and whatever food court lol. Hardly any street food because the bf is too picky (his first trip to Thailand)

The worse thing is that I was born in Thailand and my Thai is terrible because I grew up in foreign country.

So this trip to Thailand didn't satisfied me. Need to go with mum next time. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G925I

currently in bkk , there are a lot of new night markets with lots of authentic street food. Jim Jum , noodles , pad thai , stalls that does stir fry dishes etc etc

currently in bkk , there are a lot of new night markets with lots of authentic street food. Jim Jum , noodles , pad thai , stalls that does stir fry dishes etc

etc

Can you name the locations

Had a fantastic feast at Ton-Thong restaurant. Highly recommended if you want a true Thai dining experience. It is a bit of a haul but taxi was less than 100 baht for us. We ordered 6 mains of seafood, one of them a huge Isaan Som Tam Tad spread. We had various appetizers, fried shrimp cakes the size of tennis balls, dried then fried pork and the spring rolls. All was outstanding and service was impecable. Total bill was only 1280 baht

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Ton-Thong-Thai-Restaurant/343605092355450

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think all good tips been provided. But I try for one rule; IF there are more locals then farangs in a tourist area you are pretty much in for a treat.

If they did serve bad food they would not have customers. Also the food turnover is high so not much get spoilt or kept.

Worst place to eat is huge restaurants with few customers. Serving reheated food will give you problem.

And don't be shy. If you see someone having interesting food then either ask what it is or order the same. Darn, envious of having a first real thai dish.

I can hardly wait for next week and some hole in the wall restaurant in BKK.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I liked spicy food.  Then I went to Thailand.

Yes, it's delicious, fresh, inexpensive, authentic, fun, and memorable.  I found that even when I let them know I only wanted 'medium spice' that was too much.  I felt like a pussy doing it, but asking for low spice was more enjoyable for me.

So good though.  I don't regret one bite of it.

I thought I liked spicy food.  Then I went to Thailand.

Yes, it's delicious, fresh, inexpensive, authentic, fun, and memorable.  I found that even when I let them know I only wanted 'medium spice' that was too much.  I felt like a pussy doing it, but asking for low spice was more enjoyable for me.

So good though.  I don't regret one bite of it.

That's true for many.

I had a Mexican girl I played with while I lived in Kalifornia. We ate at all her favorite dives to get the authentic as much as possible. She always told me how she loved spicy food until we went to my favorite Thai restaurant. I ordered my Thai hot (phet mak mak) and she followed suit so sure she knew what spicy meant. I tried to persuade her to back it down a bit as we had eaten together enough, I knew what she considered spicy truly was not. When our food arrived and we began to eat she did her best but the tears and beads of sweat on her brow gave her away. after just three bites. 

• 2 weeks later...