Bangkok protests

Hi guys

I've been reading the posts on this feed and so far the information has been very helpful. I was wondering if you were able to give me some more info.

Me and my girlfriend arrive in Bangkok early morning on Sunday. Out initial plan was to stay only for 3 nights to see bits of the city and mainly to sort our Vietnamese visas. We were going to stay in the Khao San but figured that staying nearer to the embassy in Wireless Road may be better..that's in Sukhumvit right? Or nearby? Just double checking my map skills. We haven't sorted any accommodation yet just in case the situation gets worse in the city but would ideally like to stay in a cheap place near-ish the embassy, guesthouses or hostels as we are budgeting. I know there are places around the area, but how accessible are they? Are the protest sites making it difficult to get around?

On another note, if we are able to see at least a bit of the city, I assume the best option is the sky train and metro? Are authorities implementing "protection schemes" to help the tourism factors? In order to go South we would like to take a train to Chumphon..is the train station easily accessible using the metro or Skytrain?

This is our first time in Thailand and therefore Bangkok. Just wondering if things would be particularly difficult for us. I understand that things can change rapidly and will be checking this feed very regularly. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!! :)

Xeno

I am not in Bkk now so I won't try to answer your questions about the current events or conditions.

The embassy area on and around Wireless Road is nice with easy access to transit via BTS. I have stayed at the Renaissance and two Grande Centre Points in that area and recommend all of them, but they are definitely not a low cost option.

According to Seat61, the train to Chumphon leaves BKK from the Hualamphong Station which is at the end of the MRT (metro/subway) so easy access. Be sure to check out the Seat61.com website if this is your first time traveling by train in Thailand. Loads of info. You can get schedule and fare information at thairailticket.com but you cannot buy tickets online anymore. Just buy from a ticket window at the station.

All protesters are gone from Soi Asoke and Soi Cowboy, also the shopping areas MBK, Siam Paragon and CentralWorld are all cleaned up now, their last refuge seems to be in Lumpinee Park.

plahgat

Here's a picture of Soi Asoke a few hours ago, and everything is normal.

Soi Asoke today.jpg

Here's Soi Cowboy last night!

Soi Cowboy 1.jpg

Soi Cowboy 2.jpg

Hi Zauberfee,

I went down that way yesterday.  Here are some pics I took for you.

Thanks for these. Are the Siam centres and Central World open for business?

Thanks for these. Are the Siam centres and Central World open for business?

Yes, they are open for business.  They never closed and now the protests have moved out of the area.

• 2 weeks later...