Visa on arrival question

heathcliff81

Hi, I am an Indian passport holder but have been living in the UK on work permit for 4.5 years.

Is there an advantage to getting a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in London in advance rather than relying on visa on arrival facility? Are there usually long queues at the visa on arrival counters at BKK? I am only going to Thailand for a week.

Also, is the visa application form for tourist visas and the visa on arrival system the same? I ask this because it would be good if I can download the form in advance of my flight and get it filled up by someone. Asking the airline or airport staff to help me fill up a form usually doesn't make them too happy. I can't do it myself at the airport because I am blind.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

• 4 weeks later...

I would get a visa in advance, as you are Indian and Thais are not particularly fond of you. :ph34r:

Oh thank you for reminding me of the stellar reputation Indians have in this welcoming country :). I am going to get a visa in advance anyway but I would have thought that it is very rare for Thai immigration officers to refuse visa on arrival for Indians.

• 1 year later...

I would get a visa in advance, as you are Indian and Thais are not particularly fond of you. :ph34r:

actually its not true and i would appreciate if you could back your comment with some fact. or is it your just point of view?

not only me, but i know personally a lot of people who have received visa on arrival. to be truthful a close friend of mine is in phuket as to be speak at this moment using visa on arrival facility,

Thai immigration do have right to reject your visa on arrival but that will be usually based on unforeseeable circumstances or one not meeting the requirement for visa on arrival procedure.

Thai embassy have few requirement for visa on arrival. out of which these are certain major requirement

1) valid passport with single blank page to stamp the visa with minimum 6 month validity left

2) return air ticket

3) hotel booking

4) proof of money for expense through cash or travelers check

5) a photograph

i know its an old thread and message. but the only reason i wanted to comment on it was such type of messages are misleading 

Oh thank you for reminding me of the stellar reputation Indians have in this welcoming country :). I am going to get a visa in advance anyway but I would have thought that it is very rare for Thai immigration officers to refuse visa on arrival for Indians.

I think your doing the right thing in getting a visa from the embassy before your departure.Simply because it will lessen the time you have to spend at the airport.

The only other thing I would suggest is a meet and greet service which will whisk you through fast track immigration,help you with your baggage,and take you to either the taxi stand ,or if you pay a little more, to a limousine to your hotel.

I've only ever seen the line for Thai citizens and foreigners. Not broken down between foreigners with visa vs. visa on arrival. Can't see why having the visa would make anything faster.

If they offer visa on arrival to Indian citizens, shouldn't be an issue. Can't see why it would take longer than anyone else getting one.  If they don't offer visa on arrival to Indian citizens, your UK work papers might include you in priveledges extended to UK citizens (many countries apparently treat a US permanent resident's "green card" similarly to a US citizen's passport, offering the same visa on arrival options). If not, the airlines should be aware of this and refuse to board you (otherwise, they've gotta fly you home for free if your rejected entry).

• 6 months later...

money number one in thailand mate before you get on your high horse about"stellar reputation"perhaps you should ask yourself why this situation arose.