VAT refunds

I've never used the VAT refund at the airport. Has anyone had any experience with them? I know most of my purchases have no receipts but there should be a VAT item on the hotel receipts. Does this take long to do? Is it worth it? Are the VAT refunds done in baht only?

I've never used the VAT refund at the airport. Has anyone had any experience with them? I know most of my purchases have no receipts but there should be a VAT item on the hotel receipts. Does this take long to do? Is it worth it? Are the VAT refunds done in baht only?

I have done it a few times, doesn't take long at all and it is quite handy to get that extra cash to use at the airport !

VAT is 7 % in Thailand and if you buy expensive goods like cameras, computers and stuff you can save 1000s of baht.

Don't think you'll get a refund on hotel bills though!:rolleyes:

You can read about the rules here:

VAT refund in Thailand

Plahgat

Edited by plahgat

• 1 month later...

Only time ive gotten a refund was last xmas when i bought an ipad in BKK, the refund was worth about 1300 baht so i was happy, i forget excatly but if spend over a certain amount at department stores your entitled to a vat refund at the airport, dont think hotel is included or dinners etc, the big stores can give you that information while your paying for your goods.

please remember you are liable to pay

vat in the country you are returning to

at their rate of vat on goods brought abroad

duty free

I think that in most western countrys you can bring goods in for your own use under $500 or $1000 without paying any duty or vat, and your not going to tell them you just bought it even if you have to pay vat.

Only time ive gotten a refund was last xmas when i bought an ipad in BKK, the refund was worth about 1300 baht so i was happy, i forget excatly but if spend over a certain amount at department stores your entitled to a vat refund at the airport, dont think hotel is included or dinners etc, the big stores can give you that information while your paying for your goods.

I think you can claim a VAT refund for goods purchased over 2000 BHT but i did notice on the form that the department store filled in for me to give to the VAT refund office that there is an admin charge or 100 BHT, the department store told me that if they fill the form in it is free if the VAT office fill the form in they charge the 100 BHT admin fee

- On any one day, the goods purchased from an individual participating shop must not be less than 2,000 Baht including VAT, and the total amount claiming for refund must not be less than 5,000 Baht, including VAT.

- When you purchase the goods, ask the sales assistant to complete a VAT refund form, known as the P.P.10, and attach the original tax invoices to that form. Each P.P.10 must show a value of 2,000 Baht or more.

- You will need to know the method or refund you would prefer, and input that onto the P.P.10 form.

- You will need to show your passport to the sales assistant when you purchase the goods, to allow her to fill in the above mentioned form.

- When you are requesting the refund, the goods must be inspected by customs officers prior to check in. Show these customs officers the P.P.10 and tax invoices.

How will the refund be paid?

- If the refund does not exceed 10,000 Baht then you can have the refund made by cash (Thai Baht), draft, or a credit to your credit card.

- If the refund total does exceed 10,000 Baht then, refunds will be made by either draft or a credit to your credit card.

Are there any fees?

- If you request a cash refund a fee of 100 Baht will apply.

- For a draft refund a 100 Baht fee plus, the draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks and postage fees.

- For credit card refunds, a 100 Baht fee plus money transfer fee at the rates charged by banks.

Plahgat

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...