What's a "visa/border run", in practical terms, from BKK? Day trip? More complex?

Jim78

Trying to plan my stay in SEA by using a multi entry tourist visa, but this whole 'border run' got me really confused. 

What exactly does it entail? Do i rent a cab for a day and head to the nearest border and hope to find a fence? I mean, i'm sure they have checkpoints but which one to go to? 
Or do i need to catch a flight to Vietnam or something? 

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this properly because i'm planning to stay long-term and don't want to get blacklisted 🙂 I also don't want to be tax residenced in Thailand so will only be doing the renewal once : at 2+1 month and again for another 2.5 month.

Thank you! This forum rocks and by far has the nicest people!

Posted (edited)

A border run can just be a day trip, a visa run is more complex.

My last visa run was in 2011, the last time I set foot outside Thailand.  I booked the visa run company that operates out of the Queen Vic hotel in Pattaya.  It was an overnighter to Vientiane, Laos.  We drove all night in a 9-seater van and arrived at the Friendship Bridge before it opened at dawn.  We checked into our hotel, arranged by the company, and had breakfast.  We then went, as a group, to Laos Immigration but only had to stay there 10 minutes, then back to the hotel for some sleep.  It was very organized and well worth the cost for all the convenience.  If you only need a border run you can arrange that yourself, just choose a destination and go by either ground or air.

My first visa run was 2005, in Singapore.  I made the arrangements myself, booked a hotel near the Thai Embassy and stayed a few days.

Edited by Woody Woodpecker
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot it's funny to see that they have companies for that too 🙂

It doesn't sound that complicated now that you explain it so I'll probably organize it myself the first time around and use companies afterwards. Thanks a lot!

A border run, it a quick trip and back across any border to reboot your 30 day visa exemption (which can then be extended). A visa run is to visit a Thai consulate somewhere to get a visa (you can’t get them in country).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jim78 said:

Thanks a lot it's funny to see that they have companies for that too 🙂

It doesn't sound that complicated now that you explain it so I'll probably organize it myself the first time around and use companies afterwards. Thanks a lot!

The biggest advantage of using the visa run business was the expedited service of only having to spend 10 minutes at Lao Immigration, instead of hanging around there all afternoon without any aircon if I’d made the arrangements myself.  So I spent the afternoon in the hotel drinking Lao beer.  That adds a lot of value to the package. The companies have business relationships with the Immigration officers.

Edited by Woody Woodpecker

9 hours ago, Woody Woodpecker said:

The biggest advantage of using the visa run business was the expedited service of only having to spend 10 minutes at Lao Immigration, instead of hanging around there all afternoon without any aircon if I’d made the arrangements myself.  So I spent the afternoon in the hotel drinking Lao beer.  That adds a lot of value to the package. The companies have business relationships with the Immigration officers.

Oh yes now that you mention it, given that i'm planning to stay for a while, i might as well do things properly. Which company did you use if you don't mind me asking? I have zero idea where to go 🙂 thank you. If this is against the rules feel free to dm me!!!

6 minutes ago, Jim78 said:

Oh yes now that you mention it, given that i'm planning to stay for a while, i might as well do things properly. Which company did you use if you don't mind me asking? I have zero idea where to go 🙂 thank you. If this is against the rules feel free to dm me!!!

This was 1st Class visa operating out of the Queen Vic hotel in Pattaya.  They also have these businesses in Bangkok but I have no direct experience.

Thanks! I'll ping them!