Tex-Mex in BKK

Here's a new place, Molino, just opened on Soi 11.  Had lunch there, a fish taco and a gringo taco, with passion fruit margaritas (buy one, get one free). It was tasty, thankfully the fried fish was cod and not Pangasius, and the margaritas had enough tequila to cop a good buzz. They're also open for breakfast.

IMG_20231220_125137.thumb.jpg.443624a6e02d18b7c71f6a20cc16278a.jpgIMG_20231220_122428.thumb.jpg.a706ae2b8eaf30237ae12b13c7de1749.jpg

• Like 2

for 'Mex-Mex' Missing Burro in Thonglor area is excellent. haven't been in a while but they've tended to have some interesting mezcal too. if you haven't tried mezcal it's sorta like what if tequila had personality

Charlie Brown's is also good, somewhere between 'Mex-Mex' and Tex Mex.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, schnytzal said:

Charlie Brown's is also good, somewhere between 'Mex-Mex' and Tex Mex.

Was going to suggest this - and their margaritas are enjoyably potent. They’re on a side soi (17) just off of Soi 19, the road next to Terminal 21. IIRC, they’re the first left past the Robinsons blok. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 12:52 PM, Woofiee said:

Was going to suggest this - and their margaritas are enjoyably potent. They’re on a side soi (17) just off of Soi 19, the road next to Terminal 21. IIRC, they’re the first left past the Robinsons blok. 

i'm a regular. they have 3 pretty decent mezcals in addition to margs now.

the chef is Mexican, great guy, will tell you all about mezcal if you get him going. he also makes a 'special' hot sauce if you like to suffer. simple, painful, and still flavorful (to me, too much heat and you don't taste anything).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 4:03 PM, Woody Woodpecker said:

Slanted Taco at Craft Beer on Soi 23 has buy one/get one free on Taco Tuesdays. Shrimp tacos here.

haven't been since they reopened but they were pretty good...

are those flour tortillas? oh dear God no. soft corn tortillas. this is the way.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2024 at 11:44 PM, schnytzal said:

haven't been since they reopened but they were pretty good...

are those flour tortillas? oh dear God no. soft corn tortillas. this is the way.

No, they're flour, but each taco contains two large shrimp, a slice of avocado, slice of Jalapeño, lettuce and salsa. Buy one for 90++ and get one free, but only Tuesdays, and margaritas are 150++.  Have 4 shrimp tacos and two margaritas, 480++.

IMG_20240326_185945.thumb.jpg.1ec93fa21a0d14af55c16211361031f6.jpg

On 3/27/2024 at 7:22 PM, Woody Woodpecker said:

No, they're flour,

under no circumstances will i ever accept a flour tortilla taco regardless of what's in it.

I'd expect they still do soft corn though.

meanwhile recently settled on La Monita as my friend required a burrito, and La Monita is better than Sunrise. i don't think the one at Emquartier has burritos though (their tacos are nice but if i'm at Emquartier i'm downstairs eating at Smoked LOL)

I like the steak burritos at La Monita, but when they had a restaurant in the basement of Siam Paragon you had to pay an extra 60 baht if you wanted guacamole in your burrito, whereas if you went over to Mahatun Plaza it was included at no extra cost.