Bangkok Bar Closures During February 2019?

I just remembered reading somewhere (a few months ago, online) that bars would be temporarily closed in Bangkok at some point during February 2019 (think it was 23-24 February) due to 'elections'. Didn't bat much of an eyelid at the time, but, wouldn't you know it...

Despite frantic googling, I can't now locate the article in which I read that, and there appear to be no Thai elections planned next month. I did just find a (presumably) fellow mongering alcoholic on TripAdvisor posting the same query a few days ago, however...

False alarm? Hoping so.  

Yours seeking reassurance with a potential February trip on the horizon...  :unsure:

Tom Tit  :blink:

Edited by Tom Tit

The election was scheduled for February 24th and while that date has not changed, election officials have been quoted as saying they will postpone the election until March.

There is a Thai holiday in February, Makha Bucha Day, which is celebrated on Feb. 19. Bars close on this day from midnight to midnight.

The election was scheduled for February 24th and while that date has not changed, election officials have been quoted as saying they will postpone the election until March.

There is a Thai holiday in February, Makha Bucha Day, which is celebrated on Feb. 19. Bars close on this day from midnight to midnight.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Should be business as usual bar-wise that Feb 23-4 weekend, then. That's great news, for me at least.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-must-postpone-election-again-until-march-officials

I had bought my tickets that included a brief layover in BKK February 23rd and 24th one day before the Feb 24 election was announced! 

I panicked a bit since I don't get to the Big Mango very often. However I recall being in town on one of the Buddhist holidays - even thought the bars and gogos were closed, I survived the daytime in the oily massage shops and the nighttime with smooci. 

So if the election is not delayed, I will plan on more massage / smooci / even FL and hope that it is only the bars / gogos that are affected by the election. 

To my understanding (and hope), it is only the places serving alcohol that are affected, as there are prohibitions against drinking before/ on the election. 

Fingers crossed. I have had a few panic attacks when Thai politics have run into my monger vacay plans. 

Conflicting reports... but most recent indicates the election will be postponed:

BANGKOK: Thailand's long-delayed general election to end military rule will have to be postponed from its Feb 24 date and will likely be held in March, two officials in the Election Commission said on Tuesday (Jan 15). 

The Election Commission of Thailand has not announced the postponement, but two senior election officials told Reuters it was impossible to hold the polls on Feb 24, as announced last month.

"The Feb 24 election cannot take place because the Election Commission doesn't have enough time to organise it," a senior commission official said.

"There are now two possible dates ... Mar 10 or Mar 24," the official said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-must-postpone-election-again-until-march-officials-11125800>

Edited by Tom Tit

Thank you Tom for the link and the reassurance. 

I see there are a few developments that point to a delay, although it has not officially been delayed yet. Specifically they have also not officially called for the 24 Feb election, even though the date has been announced, and the negative statements on the part of the government. 

I suppose, before reading your link and then a few other news reports I found online, that I had many seen the headlines concerning the protests by activists who are in favor of keeping the 24 Feb and that sort of reinforced my naivety and my paranoia that it would remain as scheduled. That's showing my western bias. 

Of course, my last day in BKK this trip is 9 March as I depart on the 10th, so I could still catch some effects if the election is delayed until the 10th. However it would be less severe an issue than the 24th, for me. 

Safe travels! 

I’m keeping tabs on these developments every day. I’m about ready to pull the trigger on booking a week’s visit in February, and I need to be sure of optimum drinking time!

Feb 23-24 is now just a month away so, if there are going to be elections on those days, they will need to confirm it pretty damn quick.

It’s looking 99% likely it will be delayed. But until that extra percent is added, I’m holding fire against pressing the ‘book now’ button, just to be safe!

• Upvote 1

Just to further confirm our thinking on this: 

1) this NYT op-ed https://nyti.ms/2HgktiQ notes the election is already delayed to March and discusses it in the context of "everyone is promising it won't be delayed any further past March" and links to this article, 

2) http://str.sg/ou5i which has more government statements (Deputy PM) asserting the same ideas that 24 Feb is not tenable and promising that it wont be any later than March. Which still makes me nervous for my March dates of 4-10, but the 10th is my early departure day so I'm less worried if it is then. 

• Upvote 1

Good work, lads.

I'm feeling 100% more positive now than the shit-my-pants sinking sensation I experienced a few days ago, suspecting I'd be in BKK for a dry weekend.

As I've written elsewhere on here, I once (only once!) very foolishly attempted a whole 10-day sojourn in BKK stone-cold sober (as opposed to my normal 24/7 eyes-on-stalks boozy setting) 'just to see what it was like'.

Well, it was shit. Fucking shit. I've enjoyed visits to the VD clinic more. For, for me, sober = overly self conscious, crushingly inhibited, timid, grumpy and jumpy. Not an ideal recipe for a 48-hour mongering session. My sober week and a bit in Bangkok was worse than a waste of money. It was about ten years ago and it still makes my blood boil when I think of it. I'd give my left bollock for 10 days in Bangkok right now. Why the fuck did I waste all that time padding round shopping malls gasping for a beer with a face like a Motorhead b-side, hating the world. 10 days. I only went out once after dark. Not a single barfine. Saw an identical temple or two. Scowled at hippie kids down Khaosan. Can't remember what I did the rest of the time, but it was certainly shite.

Yes, FALSE ALARM... looks like it'll be business as usual 23-4 February, in which case you'll find me parked on a stool somewhere down Soi 4 on my umpteenth beer and umpteenth barfine by Sunday afternoon.

Can't wait. Onward! We owe it to ourselves.

Edited to add: Wikipedia page now amended to say: 'the 24 February date for the election is no longer possible because the government has not published a royal decree and the EC would need at least 45 days to prepare the election.[20] The following day, Wissanu Krea-ngam announced that the royal decree will be released sometime in January, paving way for an election "no later than March."'. Also  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30362387

Looking sweet. Pull the trigger, Battenburg!  :D

Edited by Tom Tit

I'm feeling 100% more positive now than the shit-my-pants sinking sensation I experienced a few days ago, suspecting I'd be in BKK for a dry weekend.

Oh man I know the feeling and I'm similarly relieved. Although to be honest I wasn't *that* worried this time. Your expression reminds me of my most shit-my-pants freakout -- it was when the most recent coup happened shortly I was due to arrive for a similarly rare trip. I'm lucky that I get to the Big Mango once a year, and maybe a week if that. So my time there is precious and anything that threatens it basically strikes terror in my heart! As well as other body parts... But my point was that even after the military rule and despite all the talk about curfews, I was fine, I was free to indulge as much as I could, and my trip was only limited by my own physical and mental weaknesses. 

Then last year my trip overlapped with a national holiday and I was able to overcome the bar closures with a little advance planning as well as Smooci, and still had a great time. 

So while I do not want to become complacent, I'm growing to be less concerned about the potential for disruptions. Where there is a wicked will there is a way as you say! 

As I've written elsewhere on here, I once (only once!) very foolishly attempted a whole 10-day sojourn in BKK stone-cold sober (as opposed to my normal 24/7 eyes-on-stalks boozy setting) 'just to see what it was like'.

Well, it was shit. Fucking shit. I've enjoyed visits to the VD clinic more. For, for me, sober = overly self conscious, crushingly inhibited, timid, grumpy and jumpy. Not an ideal recipe for a 48-hour mongering session. My sober week and a bit in Bangkok was worse than a waste of money. It was about ten years ago and it still makes my blood boil when I think of it. I'd give my left bollock for 10 days in Bangkok right now. Why the fuck did I waste all that time padding round shopping malls gasping for a beer with a face like a Motorhead b-side, hating the world. 10 days. I only went out once after dark. Not a single barfine. Saw an identical temple or two. Scowled at hippie kids down Khaosan. Can't remember what I did the rest of the time, but it was certainly shite.

I'm sober every trip! There are definitely some elements of self-consciousness that I experience walking into various dens of sin, but mainly it just heightens the experience to me. 

Yes, FALSE ALARM... looks like it'll be business as usual 23-4 February, in which case you'll find me parked on a stool somewhere down Soi 4 on my umpteenth beer and umpteenth barfine by Sunday afternoon.

35 days and I can't wait! I should be arriving mid afternoon if all goes well. I usually go for a massage for my first stop so I'm debating where to head first - I'll be giddy for the next 35 days in anticipation.