sofitel sukhumvit or Pullmann Grande

hi all,

Arriving 29th Sep and staying just 3 nights. 

I'm having a tough time deciding whether to book a room at Sofitel or Pullmann. Anyone with experience from either? 

Both are around 16.000 Baht for the 3 nights which as a Scandinavian I find is a steal for a high end hotel. 

I like the fact that Sofitel is located between Nana and Cowboy and looks to be right next to Thermae. Pullmann was my original choice mostly because it guaranteed high floor and free minibar (probably no hard liquor).

Comments are as always appreciated, especially if you have had more than one guest upstairs at either :) 

Also Sofitel has a way bigger and better pool area. I would go with Sofitel.

If you want to allocate your baht better (disregard this if you are Norwegian ), Bangkoks best value hotels are in the in the 2000-2500 baht range. Not much of a difference in rooms/service/locations compared to Sofitel and Pullman. Check out Dynasty Grande and Hotel Icon. I've stayed in all four mentioned above and sure, Sofitel is the best. But not worth the money.

I stayed at the Pullman when it had another name. It's a good hotel.

One thing to note is there is an enternace on the Soi 23 side, you can walk down to Soi Cowboy and enter the bacarra end. And walking into the hotel more discreetly bypassing the front desk on the way home. There was just a small sercuity desk sometimes manned when I was there.

Isn't there also a new superduppa 'hi-so' club at the Pullman? I guess no freelancers because I've never seen it mentioned here at all, link below:

http://www.pullmanbangkokgrandesukhumvit.com/restaurants-bars/club-sx/

I have stayed in both the Pullman & the Sofitel. My advice is book the Sofitel as long as the prices are similar or consider Radison Blu or the Weston. Sofitel has a much nicer swimming pool than the Pullman as do the other hotels I just mentioned.

-happyone69, I stayed at the Pullman too before it was a Pullman. I liked the Soi 23 back entrance too and the room was good. My only major gripe with this hotel is the pool. Its no good. The architect should be taken out and shot. LOL.

All of the other hotels I mentioned are good alternatives to the Pullman: ie the Sofitel, the Westin, Radison Blu. They are all high quality, girl friendly places with good locations with fairly large rooms so price is the only determining factor for me. If you are not in a hurry to make a reservation, you should be able to fine a deal or sale at all of them and not pay more than $110/night even for the Sofitel.

Edited by gogul

To add to the above, depending on dates and length of stay the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit can be cheaper than The Westin.

Also with the SPG properties always check the hotels website and click the offers tab where better rates can be found than doing a general search.

Looking at the OP first post 16,000 for 3 nights at Sofitel..... I have a 3 night stay at Sheraton Grande booked for early December and it's 14,477 THB inclusive all taxes and charges.

Behemoth International hotels chains like the Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Intercontinental ect ect employ number crunching, nonlinear profit maximizing algorithms that spew out the optimal rate (for them) to charge on an almost daily basis. Mrfreeze nailed down a good rate for the Sheraton at 14,477bt tax inclusive for 3 nights. By my calculation that comes to 4,124.5 baht ($124) per night before taxes and service fees and I do not believe I have seen a lower rate at this hotel.

I just checked out the Sheraton rate for the 3-night (thurs, fri, sat) in early December and the algorithm quoted me 4,487bt ($135) / night before taxes and service fees and 4,600bt ($139) / night for a March fri, sat, sun rate.

I was surprised to see a higher rate at the Weston for this same 3-night December time period of 4,963bt ($149.6) / night before taxes and service fees. Last year I booked 3 nights in April at the Westin for 3,416bt ($103) / night before taxes and service fees. But my Weston stay began on the last day of Songkran when anyone with a lick of sense has already left BKK. LOL. The BKK Weston in December must be more booked than the Sheraton which is why Starwood offered the deal you nailed down. Good move. 

As far as my 2018 travels are concerned, I have already nailed down some good deals in BKK. This time around I will be staying at the Radisson Blu (100/night), the Column ($82/night for a 1 br apartment), and Marriott Thonglor Exec Apartment ($105/night for a 1 br apartment) all prices before taxes and fees.

The game is to wait for the good rate and then to nail it or else the nonlinear profit maximizing algorithms win. The same principal applies to the airlines.

Edited by gogul

Close, 4100 THB a night before tax and service fee's  :D

I seem to recall I have had a rate as low as 3800 or maybe slightly less in the past but that would be over a year ago I think.

Dec 8-11 (Fri / Sat / Sun) is what I booked and looking at the SPG site 4,400 (ex) is still showing ( I am signed into my SPG account) and it is listed as a SPG prefered rate.

Now clicking the link to see the hotel site and selecting offers then the stay 2 pay for 3 reserve link 4100 is shown.

As I mentioned earlier ALWAYS check the hotel site and the offers link as some good savings can be had.

I had a great rate at Marriott Thonglor in April of  2800 a night before tax and service charges and being Marriott Gold had lounge access.

Bargains are there if you keep an eye on the websites and are flexible with dates etc.