Uk visitor visa

nellyb1979

I recently did a standard uk visitor app for my girlfriend however it was refused for 3 reasons; firstly because i got the date wrong in which we met, which raised a few questions, and second because we were applying for 6months and they didnt believe she could have that time from work so wouldnt return, and thirdly there was no dates on the photos that i put of us together.

On each point i can provide evidence of the right date and explain why i got it wrong (we have spent 3 Christmases together, so in putting down the date we met in my letter i put 2014 (17-3=14), not realising you count 17-i know). her boss has said they can give her letter confirming employment and can have1 month holiday).

with this in mind we are going to reapply asking only for a 1month visa, do i explain my error with the dates i can use a facebook photo which is dated and has location on to prove dates, or do I just ignore the fact the previous one was refused and just treat this as a new application?

A number of years ago I was successful in acquiring multiple UK visitor visas for my girlfriend, the first of which was for four months. We had been seeing each other for two years at the time. She had no formal employment. She had no children either, being 24 years old at the time. As a rule of thumb, supply more data than you think is necessary. With such a visa application, it boils down to three things 1) Yours and her credibility - are your stated intentions the true intentions 2) Sufficient finances and 3) Demonstrating that you have a real relationship. This latter point gives the incentive to return, since the girlfriend wouldn't want to risk future visa applications being rejected. I specifically noted this in my sponsor's cover letter. The precise paragraph I wrote was as follows

We realise that as a single person with no substantial attachments to Thailand in the form of property ownership, for example, there may be some question as to her intent to return to Thailand once her stay is completed. We hope that the ample demonstration of a committed relationship that could develop further will be sufficient to assure you that she would not do anything to potentially jeopardise a future visa. She is fully cognisant that an overstay would result in her not being able to obtain a future visa and so has every intention to return promptly to Thailand at the end of her stay in the UK

I supplied many photos of the time we were together, put into book format with a place and a date beneath each photo. I supplied photos of my girlfriend with my mother. I supplied copies of flight tickets showing we'd travelled together on certain dates. I even supplied Skype logs. It is also key that you provide strong evidence of your own finances and an undertaking to pay her expenses. I supplied an employment letter from my employer as well as six months of pay slips and bank statements as well as P60s. She had very little money in her account. I even went so far as to purchase a return flight ticket with the stated dates before applying for the visa, even though many commentators recommend you don't do this. I paid a premium for a refundable ticket in case the visa was denied.

I think you would be wrong to ignore the previous application. There will be a record of this application and your silence may come across as being dishonest. Address it in your sponsor letter. This will help to establish credibility. If her boss gives her an employment letter, be sure to include 6 months of payslips as backup documentation verifying employment. 

Good luck

• Upvote 2

One thing to be aware of, if they suspect you may be planning to get married in the UK during the visit they will refuse the visa (because there is a different visa for that circumstance).  It's got much more difficult in recent years.  Actually the Thai's I know who have applied for and got visitor visa's approved applied on their own and told them they were going on a holiday (which was true).  On the other hand my friend who has 3 year thai girlfriend who has a good professional job has been rejected multiple times.  So good luck but don't be too surprised if you get refused again.  In some cases getting married is the only solution.

A number of years ago I was successful in acquiring multiple UK visitor visas for my girlfriend, the first of which was for four months. We had been seeing each other for two years at the time. She had no formal employment. She had no children either, being 24 years old at the time. As a rule of thumb, supply more data than you think is necessary. With such a visa application, it boils down to three things 1) Yours and her credibility - are your stated intentions the true intentions 2) Sufficient finances and 3) Demonstrating that you have a real relationship. This latter point gives the incentive to return, since the girlfriend wouldn't want to risk future visa applications being rejected. I specifically noted this in my sponsor's cover letter. The precise paragraph I wrote was as follows

I supplied many photos of the time we were together, put into book format with a place and a date beneath each photo. I supplied photos of my girlfriend with my mother. I supplied copies of flight tickets showing we'd travelled together on certain dates. I even supplied Skype logs. It is also key that you provide strong evidence of your own finances and an undertaking to pay her expenses. I supplied an employment letter from my employer as well as six months of pay slips and bank statements as well as P60s. She had very little money in her account. I even went so far as to purchase a return flight ticket with the stated dates before applying for the visa, even though many commentators recommend you don't do this. I paid a premium for a refundable ticket in case the visa was denied.

I think you would be wrong to ignore the previous application. There will be a record of this application and your silence may come across as being dishonest. Address it in your sponsor letter. This will help to establish credibility. If her boss gives her an employment letter, be sure to include 6 months of payslips as backup documentation verifying employment. 

Good luck

Yeah thats good advice cheers, it was an honest mistake which is explainable (im not the first man to get the date of an anniversary as such wrong), and thanks for the wording that will come in handy.

One thing to be aware of, if they suspect you may be planning to get married in the UK during the visit they will refuse the visa (because there is a different visa for that circumstance).  It's got much more difficult in recent years.  Actually the Thai's I know who have applied for and got visitor visa's approved applied on their own and told them they were going on a holiday (which was true).  On the other hand my friend who has 3 year thai girlfriend who has a good professional job has been rejected multiple times.  So good luck but don't be too surprised if you get refused again.  In some cases getting married is the only solution.

not that im opposed to marriage but i feel before get married we should spend substantial time living in uk, whilst the weather at times isnt dissimilar (well the rain part!), it is a total different lifestyle. however if we get refused this time i think you are right that marriage maybe the only way. which i think puts a lot of pressure on the marriage from the start. 

Yes, absolutely agreed with you. I made it very clear in the sponsorship letter that we presently had no intention of getting married, specifically to address this potential ambiguity.