Rosabieng Restaurant, Sukhumvit Soi 11

Visited Bangkok for a few days with Cerberus and Alleycat and ate at Rosabieng Restaurant on a Thursday night. It is located on Sukhumvit Soi 11 almost directly across from the Ambassador hotel. If you walk down Soi 11 from Sukhumvit, the restaurant is about 75 yards down on your left hand side. It has space for car and motorbike parking, but if you walk like most, it is very easy to reach by foot.

DSC05896.jpg

The restaurant looks like a big house from the outside, and has outdoor deck seating for approximately 50 or 60 guests as well as a separate bar and live music.

DSC05894.jpg

DSC05895.jpg

The restaurant itself has a train theme to it, from the sign outside to the working scale train set inside.

DSC05893.jpg

There is seating on three different floors inside the restaurant, with party rooms on the second and third floors (first and second for you Europeans ;)) They seat 40 - 50 guests on each floor for a total occupancy of almost 200 guests. That said, reservations don't seem to be required due to the size of the restaurant. If I were coming with a large party, I would still call ahead though.

This is not an upscale or hi so restaurant, but it is far removed from being a hole in the wall food stall. The majority of guests seemed to be Thai and other Asian nationalities, and I would have no problem bringing a girlfriend or wife here. The service is prompt for the most part, with the food coming out much quicker than expected. Quality and flavor of the food was good in my opinion, not excellent, but definitely a place I would eat again. There is a main serving table (an expediter station in restaurant speak) in the middle of the dining area. Makes for good food watching as you can see what each table has ordered and if so inclined you could ask for the same.

DSC05884.jpg

DSC05885.jpg

DSC05886.jpg

DSC05887.jpg

DSC05888.jpg

DSC05889.jpg

DSC05890.jpg

DSC05891.jpg

DSC05892.jpg

The food was not as spicy as expected even though we asked for some dishes to be extra spicy. One small complaint is that our appetizer came out second to last, but again, all the food came out quickly so it was not that big of a deal. The menu is quite extensive, probably close to 40 pages in total. That makes ordering difficult if you're new to Thai food or are just indecisive like me. Prices here are about average for a restaurant of this style, with six dishes and a few drinks for three people totaling less than ฿1,500. I didn't pay attention to see if a service charge is added. Good food with good company always makes for a good night out.

Edited by chuckrivera
  • Upvote 2

Hi, can somebody move this to the restaurant section? I put it here by accident.

Done.

Thanks for the thorough report. The food looks delicious. You always compose excellent and helpful reviews that are even better than Fodor's. My favorite is still your Benihana brunch report at Pattaya Addicts.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks for the great review here .. will certainly check this out when there next year .. april / may .. smiles .. peter

• 2 weeks later...

I totally endorse this Rosabieng.

I chose to eat outside, the service was a little slow but it was a busy night.

I did not mind because the music was good and the food worth the wait and

the price was very reasonable. Great place to relax and meet friends.

Dieter :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

ChuckRiviera's review of last year remains relevant ... Rosabieng is a great little mid-level Thai restaurant. In another location, away from the tourist area, it would be a nice little neighborhood Thai joint frequented by Thai families. A mix of local Thais and their families and tourist farang go there ... local farang go their, but I'd say infrequently (we've found our own favorite neighborhood Thai restaurants away from the tourist throngs).

You'd feel comfortable there with family and friends, and even your slut du jour, as long as she is not in full-on slut mode (which most are not when they leave their places of business).

The train theme derives from the fact that the original Rosabieng is proximate to the Hua Lumpong Train Station ... the Soi 11 restaurant is their second. The more authentically spiced Thai is still available there.

A great menu in which everyone will find something to please. The fare is perfect for the tourist farang (wide, representative variety and moderately spiced), yet close enough to appeal to local Thais if the kitchen will fire it up a bit, which they will do upon request. Authentic, authentic Thai, it is not ... but, for unadventuresome visitors, it is accessible, easy, reasonably priced and a very good call.

Super place for al fresco dining in a nicely finished garden terrace during temperate months ... outside, they have in the past featured a nice little jazz band, the tables near to which will be uncomfortably noisy.

A good call.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...