So just how safe are room safes? Anyone ever been ripped off?

I'm leaving for Bangkok in one week, just thought I'd ask what you guys think about the overall safety of your stuff in the room safes. I'll be staying at Dynasty Grande Hotel, so if anyone's stayed there let me know your thoughts on the place.

Thanks,

Sulla

Room safe are generally safe but keep I mind that someone in hotel staff does have the master combination to open it, in case people forget their codes.For me, I keep all my valuables in my luggage and put a lock on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I personally would never put my valuables in a hotel safe. They are cheap and easy to break into, and the staff has full access to it. In fact, most thefts I've read about are due to someone putting money in their safe and then coming back and it magically being gone.

I too keep my valuables in my primary suitcase with a lock on it. It's a whole lot more time consuming and dangerous for them to try to break into your suitcase and/or steel your luggage, and no one is going to risk walking out of your hotel room with a big bag since it will be caught on camera.

That's not just Thailand... Anywhere country I visit, I would not put anything in one of those safes.

Nothing is foolproof https://youtu.be/1pgEWfYk0PI

My vote goes for the safe as normally the people in your room everyday i.e. the cleaning staff wouldn't have access to the safe master code/key/card 

If you think that cleaning staff can't get access to a master key for a safe, you are living in fairy tale land. The bell boy, the cleaning staff, the front desk, and management can all get a hold of these. Have you ever noticed that when you walk into a room, the safe is always unlocked and the door is open? That's not because management is coming in to unlock every safe that visitors close when they leave during every cleaning.

Definitely, nothing is full proof, but those safes are a bullseye for robberies. There is much more risk to try to break into a bag with a pen... lol.

That suitcase in the video is a real cheapo btw. It's worth investing in a hardshell suitcase with a lock (which also locks down the zipper tags) eliminating the ability to reseal if someone were to break in. They will last a lot longer through the rough baggage journeys if you're a frequent traveller.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Flite-Spinner-Black-Size/dp/B005SLEEFI/

When I'm traveling with just a backpack, I use a bicycle security cord to loop the zipper tags, straps, and then secure it to a piece of furniture in the hotel room.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-720018210610-KryptoFlex-Double-Security/dp/B000NOO3ZQ/

Think about it. If you're a thief are you going to attempt to risk breaking into an unknown piece of luggage, which might net only some dirty socks and stinky underwear when you open it, or would you be more apt to key in a master passcode to a hotel security case, knowing that anything that's inside will definitely be valuable, and you can cover your tracks by simply closing the door? I personally would go for the safes all day long.

I am pretty naive and will leave my MacBook out in the open all day and a bunch of 1000s on the desk while I shower and the girl is there. I know I should be more careful. Also for the sake of the girls I bring, as putting the money away frees them from any suspicion.

The things I am careful about is my passport and my credit cards. I leave them in the safe. I had never really thought about that the cleaning lady may have access. Sounds reasonable that a locked good suitcase is safer as it is higher risk for them to open, but my travel insurance will reduce the cover if I don´t use the safe.

I believe the international hotels chains are more professional, have better routines and higher payed staff with less incentive to steal, but who knows.

I am pretty naive and will leave my MacBook out in the open all day and a bunch of 1000s on the desk while I shower and the girl is there. I know I should be more careful. Also for the sake of the girls I bring, as putting the money away frees them from any suspicion.

The things I am careful about is my passport and my credit cards. I leave them in the safe. I had never really thought about that the cleaning lady may have access. Sounds reasonable that a locked good suitcase is safer as it is higher risk for them to open, but my travel insurance will reduce the cover if I don´t use the safe.

I believe the international hotels chains are more professional, have better routines and higher payed staff with less incentive to steal, but who knows.

I do the same when it comes to girls I bring home. My computers, camera, jewelry, wallet is all out when bring girls back to my place. I have a visual inventory of what I have, so I'd know right away if something was missing. In a way, I am curious if one will ever attempt to steal anything, but out of hundreds of girls I've brought home, I have never had one attempt to take a single thing. It's more likely that they will leave their valuables at my place by accident.

Hotel staff on the other hand... I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. The cleaning staff and bellhop are getting paid peanuts. One score from a customer's hotel safe could make up their salary for the whole year... They can also see you coming and going from the hotel, so they know when your room is empty. I make sure everything is in my bag and seal up nicely before I leave the room.

Edited by Diabolic

Plus the bags which blocks the movement of zipper, no one will attempt it as they know it can't be resealed. Safe, they open with Master code and take few 1000 and close it back, will be hard to prove that it was ever opened in your absence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk