RED DANGERED AREAS

hi friends.

will be traveling BKK some where near 12 th may to 17th may 2010.. i m keeping a watch on news about the REDS ..

i read in thaivisa that the REDS are going to surrender on 15th may..

can some people tell me which areas to avoid and where they are based mostly ..

places i will be traveling are

1)sukhumvit(stay)

2)pratunam market area

3) southern bus terminal

4) dreamworld ,safari world ..

hope to hear soon and as long as i go

thank u

Right now, the reds are centered around Ratchaprasong intersection, near Erewan Shrine, Gaysorns, Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, and Centralworld. If you avoid that area, you'll probably be ok, but there's no way to predict where they protests might spread to or what either side (the reds or the government) might do, so use some common sense :lol: Whereabouts along Suk are you staying? Lower Sukhumvit isn't too far from the Ratchaprasong intersection, so there might be some traffic snarls depending on where you're staying.

The red leaders have said they plan to turn themselves in on May 15th, but I think that should be taken with a grain of salt. At least one of the leaders (Arisman) has a prior warrant out for his arrest and has previously said he would turn himself in, but didn't follow through. Just speculating, I have a feeling that Thaksin and the UDD have something big planned between now and May 15th and they figure they'll be in control before then, so won't have to surrender. We'll see.

Thanks Dave.

just be careful and stay away from where the red shirts are and you will be fine.

Hi Montien, thanks for the acknowledgement. Chitlom and Silom are two main concentrated areas of the red-shirt barracades. It is advisable to stay away from large groups of either pro-government supporters, or anti-government protesters. Lower Sukhumvit including Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy are unaffected so far.

as long as they stay away from the nana asoke areas of sukumvitt 99% of us mongers should be ok

4:00 AM Tuesday morning (well I think it is tuesday). Walked down sukumvitt to asoke. Now I have only been here since midnight but there were troops and police on both sides of sukumvitt back west past Mickk D's. I was not concerned about the "unrest" because ererything I read said that the actions had been confined to other areas. This has a me a bit concerned.

Edited by lostagain

I have been planning a 2 week trip to Bangkok and Phuket for months. Now, I see the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory/Warning suggesting only essential travel to Bangkok. I will be staying at the Majestic Grande Hotel near NEP while in Bangkok and at a sea-side resort in Phuket. Should I cancel my plans and look at Phillipines in safer areas? or disregard warning ? Just how bad is it in Bangkok? Thanks, Piratesail

I have been planning a 2 week trip to Bangkok and Phuket for months. Now, I see the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory/Warning suggesting only essential travel to Bangkok. I will be staying at the Majestic Grande Hotel near NEP while in Bangkok and at a sea-side resort in Phuket. Should I cancel my plans and look at Phillipines in safer areas? or disregard warning ? Just how bad is it in Bangkok? Thanks, Piratesail

I can't tell you what the conditions are now, but in two weeks when I get there I can. I'm spending three days in BKK, then three more in Phuket and the bulk is unreserved, but as of now, it's going to be in BKK.

There are 15,000,000 people in Bangkok. The odds of me being a casualty are pretty slim as long as I don't wear red or go to where the action is. Unfortunately I've got a friend near Silom, so I might venture near some of the action, if it's still going on. I'm not worried though.

Things are pretty tense, and there is a real potential for things to get real nasty at any time. Every morning after I wake up, I half expect to read about a major confrontation between the riot police and/or the army and the reds. That being said even if they do get nasty I don't expect anyone except those in the actual protest areas to be in any real danger.

I live here in BKK and I haven't considered any change in that status due to the red-shirt situation. I was in Malaysia earlier this week, but that was a work related trip, and had nothing to do with what the red shirts were or were not doing.

As for the US travel advisory - you should be aware that from what I hear this advisory means that no travel insurance will cover your trip.

Here is a map of the main problem area (Nana is just to the right of this map/photo - Ploenchit turns into Sukhumvit on the other side of the tollway):

redshirtcontrol.jpg