May 2016 Roll Call

Hey dave202. Our visits are going to overlap quite a bit and I could definitely use a wingman to help me from getting discombobulated! I'll ping you on LINE, most likely the 16th if that works for you.

Dumb question, but how do BMs meet up, meaning recognize each other when they get to the bar? Do we wear white carnations or something?  :)

Not quite. Just ping on line saying where you are and what you are wearing. Besides on the board group there's an actual photo of me. Albeit rockin a beard I don't have at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how long it takes to get the train to Sukhumvit, but I'd advise a taxi as it's quick and easy, and will take you right to your hotel entrance. No waiting for trains, no worry about having to change trains, no carrying your luggage.

For a 9pm arrival, if you pre-book a taxi to be there waiting for you, you may well be at your hotel by 11pm, which will give you a few hours to go straight out!

I'll be in BKK from May 19 - Jun 1, staying on Soi Ruam Ruedi (near Phloem Chit BTS).

If I arrive after 9pm do you think a taxi is the fastest way to get to the hotel? Or should I take the train?

The train is not bad but does take about the same or slightly less time as taxi or limo dependant on traffic. Depending on distance from bts station and amount of luggage the value can not be beat. However it is currently ungodly hot so if comfort factors in take a taxi. Edited by Viandefraich

Probably just as quick to grab one of the waiting taxis, and you'll probably get a better price too.

For info, I pre-book my taxi through Tour East Thailand via Expedia, and I also book them to take me back to the airport when I go home. Costs around £35 for both journeys, so each way that's around 900 baht. Like I said, you could get a better price by grabbing a waiting taxi, but I prefer to pay a bit extra for less hassle when I'm tired!

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I'll take a taxi. Will pre booked actually be faster than just grabbing one waiting outside the terminal?

You can take a taxi at Level 1, you first get your ticket outside at a machine, and wait at the number printed on your ticket.

Always make sure to the driver you want to have the meter on, and take the route with tollways.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, I grabbed a taxi. 75 baht in tolls and the ride was 250 baht. I gave the driver 400 baht and he seemed happy. Took about a half hour to get to my hotel (Sheraton Grande).

• Upvote 1