breakfast?

any of you guys know of a place serving full american breakfast?i mean except the hotel. sukhumwit or pratunam area.

I think you will find more English Breakfasts than American. While you can get decent bacon almost everywhere, good sausage (patty or links) are a bitch to find, as are good hash browns or american fried potatoes, and, if you are from the south, go whistle for grits. This being said, it has come to mind that Bourbon Street, in Washington Square, off of Soi 22 Sukhimvit has a pretty good American breakfast offering with good renditions of the the above-mentioned lacking offerings in most restaurants. However, that location, though of Sukhimvit, is not close to lower Sukhimvit (if that is where you are) and in the opposite direction from Pratunam. Here is a link to their website, you can download their breakfast menu: http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/

By the way, their cajun food is excellent, if that interests you at all.

Both Bourbon Street and Lary's Dive (suk soi 22) have decent American breakfast. I would have to disagree with the early post as it relates to bacon. Too many of the places serve rashers which are much more European style bacon than American style. Bully's Pub used to have breakfast gravy on the menu but I never had it (or breakfast for that matter there).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a lover of great Southern-style breakfasts - the heart-seizing, cholesterol laden feast for real men, unafraid of big needles, by-pass surgery and death. Searching from Tokyo to Jakarta and every major and minor market between, I have found no satisfaction.

The best I can suggest is a facsimile of an American breakfast at a faux diner on lower Sukhumvit called V8 Diner. Owned by the guys who run Insomnia, to which it is attached, it is located between Soi 12 and Soi 14 on Sukhumvit in the back of Sukhumvit Plaza (shared with Sunrise Tacos, Pizza Company, etc.).

They have several American breakfast variations. Being Aussies, the owners don't fully grasp the idea ... being absentee owners makes it only worse.

Still, it is enough. If I am not doing international hotel breakfast buffet, or a specialty breakfast shop somewhere (Bangkok Bagelry), I will generally favor V8 Diner for an American-esque breakfast.

V8 Diner does a good value American breakfast special for THB 99 until 11.00a every day that includes a couple of eggs any way, 2 pieces of toast, 2 strips of bacon, 2 link sausages (not Thai sausages), bottomless cup of coffee. It'll get you through the morning, and heft that cholesterol level respectably.

Opened 24-hours daily.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a simple solution get a chicken pad thai for breakfast. Eat what the locals eat its 30baht and its cheap, authentic and delicious.

Don't mind me asking but why would you travel half way around the world and not try the local dishes?

Edit--

I see that the first post was 2 years old. Nevermind! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

... update on my V8 Diner post above (post #7) ... same owner, but a new manager has made changes ... the THB 99 breakfast specials changed, but still appealing ... anytime before 11.00a (V8 is opened 24/7), three choices for THB 149 each are available ... V8 serves a traditional American breakfast, a pancake and bacon breakfast, and some sort of a mutant egg sandwich breakfast ... their bottomless cup of coffee is a nice change for Bangkok:

... the full American breakfast, pictured below ... the sausage is a properly spiced ground pork sausage, and not one of those nasty Thai hot dogs made from pork brain, nostril and anus scraps off the slaughter house floor ... sadly, V8 doesn't yet grasp get the concept of fruit jam ... they instead serve a fruit compote better reserved for waffles, or pancakes ...

V8 - Full American Breakfast.jpg

... the al fresco dining terrace, at early morning ... comfortable ... music ... street noise is not noticeable ... plenty of fans in the hot season, and overhead canopy during the rainy season ... shared with the other restaurants, from whom you can order also ...

V8 - Outside Dining Terrace.jpg

... the Sukhumvit street signage ... located between Soi 12 and Soi 14, about 150 meters from the Asoke BTS Station ...next to the Times Square Building, which is next to the Sheraton Grande ...

V8 - Sukhumvit (between Sois 12 and 14).jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

... update on my V8 Diner post above (post #7) ... same owner, but a new manager has made changes ... the THB 99 breakfast specials changed, but still appealing ... anytime before 11.00a (V8 is opened 24/7), three choices for THB 149 each are available ... V8 serves a traditional American breakfast, a pancake and bacon breakfast, and some sort of a mutant egg sandwich breakfast ... their bottomless cup of coffee is a nice change for Bangkok:

... the full American breakfast, pictured below ... the sausage is a properly spiced ground pork sausage, and not one of those nasty Thai hot dogs made from pork brain, nostril and anus scraps off the slaughter house floor ... sadly, V8 doesn't yet grasp get the concept of fruit jam ... they instead serve a fruit compote better reserved for waffles, or pancakes ...

I second V8, it is a great place for breakie and the staff are lovely (they help me with my Thai studies). I was most disappointed when they changed their prices so instead of coming here every Saturday before class it is now more of a special occasion thing! I always get the Eggs Benedict, best I have found in Bangkok so far. Coffee, however, is not so great!

Tessa