Street Food

• 2 months later...
Guest FromTheShadows

You may want to consider an open air restaurant as a first step towards street food. Crammed with Thais and the food was excellent, the one a friend and I went to was like a corner store with the fron and side wall missing. Lots of plastic tables and chairs and noisy. I had some sort of noodle meal. No idea what it was, just went with the flow.

With street food in general, I'm more concerned with the cleanliness of the utensils and their hands than the cooked food. I imagine it would be easy for something cooked to get contaminated just by handling.

I've known more people that've gotten sick from the Chef's salad at Gulliver's than any street food from a cart.

But realizing the difficulty in washing leafy greens, I don't eat anything raw that doesn't have skin that peels off when in Thailand, regardless of where I go to eat.

Read a little about food safety (I find it surprising how little most people in the USA understand about it) and you'll find that almost everything on those food carts is well cooked and pretty safe. 

Anything that relies on being washed to clean bacteria off it (fresh lettuce) stay away from.