Monthly rates?

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows of places that have a decent monthly rate in bangkok, hotel or serviced apartments. i work 4 weeks on in the united states then have 4 weeks off, and will be there in October, and continuing to spend my R&R's in thailand for the next year or so. My dilemma is to get an apartment for a year lease so I can have my home base, or just find somewhere that has good monthly rate deals. Any info would be appreciated.

I don't know about the hotel room or rentals, but given the tightening of measures on tourist visas, I suggest you check with the Thai consulate near you to see if you need a visa. The scuttlebutt on the Thaivisa forum is that visa runs are becoming a thing of the past. You are planning on being in Thailand for almost a 1/2 year, it would be a shame for it to work the first 3 times you enter and then the fourth time the immigration officer sends you home. Just send a quick email, tell them your travel plans and ask for their opinion.

Ya the little bit I've researched on it, it still seems that if you arrive and leave by air your still good for 30 days. it's the border jumping, into the neighboring countries that seems to be the emphasis. I'll still look further into it though. Be a shame if they crack down on it by air, all I'm doing is spending my holidays there.

On the hotel/serviced apartment front,I've done a bit of research too.The past 20-odd years I've been going to LOS 2 or 3 times a year for 7-10days at a time.Recently I just thought I may as well go once a year for a month.It's worth doing a bit of research,as you're going to be in the place for a full month,so it's best to find somewhere you're going to be comfortable.

Here are some websites I browsed

http://www.servicedapartmentsbkk.com/serviced-apartments-near-to-Nana-BTS-station.php

Craigslist is surprisingly good in this case.If you see a place you like,just mail the owner with any questions you have.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/vac?query=sukhumvit&sale_date=-

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/sub?query=sukhumvit&sale_date=-

Ya the little bit I've researched on it, it still seems that if you arrive and leave by air your still good for 30 days. it's the border jumping, into the neighboring countries that seems to be the emphasis. I'll still look further into it though. Be a shame if they crack down on it by air, all I'm doing is spending my holidays there.

Most countries frown on a foreigner being in their country without a proper resident visa for half a year or more. It establishes residence for income tax and other reasons, even if you are in and out. A friend of mine ran into this problem in Canada with his British GF. Given the close relationship between the two countries (no visa required for tourist reasons) it wasn't even on their radar until Border Services was about to refuse her entry. She had to promise she was applying for permanent residency before she could return.

It's worth a call before making any commitments.