Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

house516

Not directly Bangkok news but it could affect the way Bangkok officials react depending on the relative success.

The news story notes that "they had been set an arrest target of 100 sex workers a night." The colonel calls it his way of bringing happiness to Pattaya. They seem to be targeting street walkers but it has to be unnerving to the bar owners.

Link

they had been set an arrest target of 100 sex workers a night. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fearing-military-pattaya-rushes-to-eradicate-sin-48483.php#sthash.8ykzYmeE.dpuf
they had been set an arrest target of 100 sex workers a night. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fearing-military-pattaya-rushes-to-eradicate-sin-48483.php#sthash.8ykzYmeE.dpuf

This could be the pilot for the crackdown.

I get the feeling LOS is on the way out, all it will take is something like FLs being outlawed for it be officially over.

Edited by tuk

Very interesting article, House. There are probably a lot of police bigwigs who are similarly worried about being replaced and trying to do whatever they can to keep their positions.

If a cleanup happens in Pattaya I imagine things don't bode well for Bangkok's sex trade

This could be the pilot for the crackdown.

Jumping to conclusions perhaps. The beach umbrella and deck chair tidy up in Phuket was a good thing. And from the sounds of it they want to tackle street hookers. I didn't read anything about them wanting to shut down beer bars or gogos. Besides they are just bars to go have a drink. Anything which goes on is between the guy and girl right? 555

I have a feeling the LOS is in the process of rebranding its self as a family holiday venue not a naughty boys location and the new Government is doing its best to support this. hotels have discovered they can make more from selling rooms to families that to single blokes on but you are not going to get families coming if you have girls selling their services on the streets. Look at the new PM background he is very conservative and a traditionalist.

I have a feeling the LOS is in the process of rebranding its self as a family holiday venue not a naughty boys location and the new Government is doing its best to support this. Hotels have discovered they can make more from selling rooms to families that to single blokes on but you are not going to get families coming if you have girls selling their services on the streets. Look at the new PM background he is very conservative and a traditionalist.

Do you think they will get rid of the whole scene or just clear the streets? I would still come anyway even if they did clear the whole scene but it would make it a bit harder to get girls haha

Jumping to conclusions...

That might be you ...thats why I used the word "could"

I didn't read anything about them wanting to shut down beer bars or gogos.

Pol Col Suppatee Boonkrong, deputy commander of Chon Buri Provincial Police, who took over as acting head of Pattaya City Police on June 3 in the wake of the coup, said he was aiming to eradicate all prostitution.

Edited by tuk

That might be you ...thats why I used the word "could"

I really don't think they will go after the bars and gogos in full. Beer bars are just girls in a bar drinking which you can join in with right? They are not hurting anyone.

Street walkers on the other hand are different and stick out like a sore thumb. I reckon by prostitution he is only referring to street walkers. Imagine how many characters they would upset if they shut down all the beer bars and gogos.

As has been discussed in other threads, I tend to agree there will be more and more coyotes across the bars as this will retain the 'adult' feel of the entertainment areas, but the availability of women (particularly on the cheap) will lessen.

I really don't think they will go after the bars and gogos in full.

Jumping to conclusions? lolz, sry.

Beer bars are just girls in a bar drinking which you can join in with right? They are not hurting anyone.

Depends who you ask, most mongers might agree ...but families walking past with kids in tow might see older sex tourist preying on younger socio-disadvantaged girls who might even be underage, their only point of reference might be that documentary they watched about poor northern farmers selling/leasing their teenage daughters to Bangkok pimps, some others might see a western pedo scene of some kind, don't underestimate the power of appearances, venues like this would face resistance in most western cities for much the same reasons. ...bkk already has a bad reputation on a global level for such things.

Street walkers on the other hand are different and stick out like a sore thumb. I reckon by prostitution he is only referring to street walkers.

I would say the opposite is true, street walkers are way more discreet, sometimes you have to look twice to make sure ..whereas go go bars etc are way more obvious.

Imagine how many characters they would upset if they shut down all the beer bars and gogos.

Yeh, mongers, pimps, wgs, mafia ..but the majority of thai society would welcome it imo.

I reckon by prostitution he is only referring to street walkers.

Sounds like wishful thinking, the article does say, aiming to eradicate all prostitution ....but I guess we'll have to wait and see how that plays out.

Interesting conversation, such was the point of the post. I find it difficult to imagine the whole scene to disappear anytime soon. But I recognize the possibility of a determined new PM with the backing of the military and other, less adult oriented, tourist operators to make a potentially significant change. Even if there were significant changes, I would think that the low-key in club FLs will always be around.

If this escalates it will takes years for the country to change. Basically you will have about a million unskilled bargirls and families with no means to support themselves. Many working girls are supporting 5-6 people, so working at 7-11 won't cut it.

Think of all the soapy massage cathedrals that will lose their value and be standing empty memories of things that used to be. There would need to be a huge government support program to help people out. Not only that, a huge chunk of tourists will simply stop coming. It's not a secret that a large portion of the tourism industry is related to the Thai poontang that's available. The Japanese businessmen will hate coming here... How often do you see the Jap men in the waters swimming?

My opinion is that they are cracking down on street walkers because it is obvious and unregulated prostitution. There is no law that you can't "barfine" a girl from an establishment, and what happens after is up to you. The bars pay taxes, so a portion of the barfine is going back into their hands. Could it happen? Possibly... But I think unlikely.

The streetwalkers just need to move into a disco or something and make their transaction in a private place. When there are Ladyboys and girls in short dresses standing around doing nothing and/or soliciting it screams "prostitutes' to the family tourists, and I feel this is the "image" they are trying to clear. I really don't think the Junta will shut down all p4p as it's part of Thai's history.

Edited by Diabolic
  • Upvote 1