can we travel to BKK this week end

Of course, you can.  However, it will come down to what you're comfortable with.  If you're not comfortable with what you're reading in the news, maybe you should go some place else.

Just do yourself a favor and stay away from the protest sites, if you do decide to come to Bangkok this weekend. 

i think the big risk for this weekend is that the pre-polling should take place if the 2nd Feb elections are going to go ahead. So this will give the 1st real indication on whether the election will go ahead. Either way one side or the other will not be happy so I think there is a risk that there will be an adverse reaction to this.

Also if the pre polling does go ahead then it will count as an election day itself so the no alcohol rule will be in place. With the lack of customers anyway I think we will see a lot of bars shutting down.

I arrived back on Tuesday   -  From the Airport to Suk Soi 11  was no problem - the taxi just got off the H/Way before the usual Suk Exit - we were in hotel in about 30 mins or so.

As other have mentioned this weekend could be a real test - and some of my thai freinds "that are supporters of this" are concerned that radicals might get involved. However this is what i have evperienced so far.

Today we were at both Siam n Nation Stadium BTS's  and the road is closed between the two. MBK was business as usual but Paragon closed at 18.00. The main stage is at the Intersection in front of MBK and it was Packed at 8pm Lots of workers there listening to the speaches etc  and its a real tent city in all directions " as well as temp shops selling everything.

I was at Asoke Intersection yesterday " Mid Afternoon" which is completely closed in all directions and has a massive stage with Bands playing and Speaches being made - was taking Video n a few pics as you would any tourist. The crowd was low but given the time of day many would have been at work i assume. I havent been to Cowboy as yet in the evening but i would guess the numbers swell the same as they did at MBK after about 5pm. And you would need to travel on the BTS or walk "which is no real problem"

Went to Patpong on Tuesday night and the taxi had to go the back way   as the Sala Daeng BTS is the same as Asoke, Siam n National Stadium " road closed". Was business as usual but with a lot less Falang around.  Nana last nite was fine and and Taxi no problems.

From what ive seen i feel that it is perfectly easy to still enjoy your time here and get to most of the usual places, saftey wise thats something that could change but "SHIT HAPPENS"  and you dont have to be in BKK for things to go wrong.

cheers

Edited by swany_au

If pre polling goes ahead on Sunday then there will be restrictions on the sale of alcohol and in the part even when there were no protests some bars closed up as it is just not worth opening. I do not think there will be any problems travelling to or round most of BKK and if you stay clear of the protest sites I do not think there is any great danger. Cowboy appears to be the most effected as it is right next to one of the big protest sites but Nana looks to be fine.