beware of the ping pong scam

beware of the great ping pong scam

we decided to try one of these shows in Patpong

after getting out of our cab we were immediately attacked by the spruikers

only 100 baht for a beer seemed to be the norm

also no cover charge

there were 4 of us & we thought "what the heck, it will only cost us 400baht to satisfy our curiosity

after entering the premises we were immediately set upon by several waitresses not only to serve us drinks but also for lady drinks

we ordered 4 drinks & said not yet to any lady drinks as we were only there for 30 seconds

we tried to watch some of the show but it was very dark & what we could see was only some very old women doing nothing extraordinary

we decided that we had selected one of the worse shows & thought pay the bill & try another

it would only cost another 400b between us

then it hit us

they would not bring the tab to us, we had to see cashier

one of us went to pay

the rest started to get ready to leave

our money man came back with the bad news

instead of the bill being 400baht it came to4400baht

the drinks were 300b each

no cover charge                                          

extras being for ladies drinks that we had declined

upon questioning all this the anwers being

:only the second drink will be 100b

:but seat costs 600b each

:you okayed lady drinks

our man looked around & thought better of any arguement so came back and gave us the bad news

we just had to put it down as an experience that cost us 1100baht (about 40 australian dollars each for one beer

on the way out we saw our spruiker still at it and words were said by us but he just looked at us with a smirk on his face as if to say"GOT YOU"

so everyone BEWARE

You were wise to just pay the bill and move on to enjoy something else as I have never heard of a good or satisfying ending to this type of tale.  They even have the authorities backing them.  Hard to believe it goes on as this can do nothing but hurt the industry.

Could you have just said that you didn't have enough for the bill of 4400 baht and given them a credit card (without an ATM option) and even sweetened the pot by say throwing in another 1000 baht ? Then when your away from the area just call the fraud protection dept of your banks' credit card and tell them to not issue payment.

A few years ago on a business trip to Madrid this happened to me and I notified the bank who stopped payment. 

would you

Could you have just said that you didn't have enough for the bill of 4400 baht and given them a credit card (without an ATM option) and even sweetened the pot by say throwing in another 1000 baht ? Then when your away from the area just call the fraud protection dept of your banks' credit card and tell them to not issue payment.

A few years ago on a business trip to Madrid this happened to me and I notified the bank who stopped payment. 

would you really go to that much trouble for $40 each?

Edited by ub6daveb9

• 1 month later...

thought i'd reply to this as I have seen many of the shows listed on the "menu" over the years at various Patpong venues, I think me and mate are actually one of the lucky few that seem to escape being scammed.  Tip is to check with someone inside the club on costs before even sitting down.  I once remember someone getting a bill for 4000 for a bowl of nuts that had been brought with drinks, he was told it was 200 for the nuts when the bill came it turned out it was actually 200 per nut!!

Havent been to these places for a few years I think maybe the scamming is worse now than before, although I was impressed with the shooting darts, smoke rings and trumpet playing ;-)

I have had decent luck in the "King's group" bars.  They seem to be the only fairly legit upstairs bars.  Had several drinks for me and quite a few more for the ladies.  The bin was spot on.  My friend and I did spend around 4000baht but that included BJs for both of us.  It may have helped that my friend has 30 yeears in BKK and is fluent in Thai but according to him these are the only trustworthy ping pong shows.

• 11 months later...

It's really good to have this sort of information on the forum.  There are scammers around and being warned about them gives you a chance to avoid them.

I am always a bit concerned about going into places with pushy street touts outside.  I think that it's best to avoid them.

• 2 months later...
Guest FromTheShadows

Over the years, I've heard of so many horror stories about the "shows". Sounds like they are still at it. In general, stay away from anyplace you need to go upstairs for. If it is as good as the street pushers say, it would be a huge popular place. Fighting the charges in a dark bar out of sight of the outside is a bad idea. Best to pay and get the hell out of there.

Thank you for the reminder. It sure is tempting.

• 6 months later...

the shows are boring anyway ?? would not pay extra to see a ping pong ball fly out of a pussy 

best one i saw was opening beer bottles with her pussy - a small bottle opener pushed in and a firm hand at the front of the pussy - and still some  idiots belie it to be real ???? WTF