Friends Hair Cut and Massage

I've been meaning to give a shout-out to this place of business since I returned last month. In particular I am referring to the massage shop as I never tried the hair cut. Of course now that I have waited the details are fuzzy but I will try.

Late one morning, I was looking for a place on Sukhumvit for a good foot massage. My thinking is for a $10 or less you can get out of the heat for an hour, sip an iced jasmine tea and have a great foot massage. Why wouldn't you? Based on absolutely nothing, I walked into Friends Hair Cut and Massage between Soi 8 and 10 Sukhumvit. The girls directed me up a steep circular stairs and I found myself in a large room that looked half finished. As it turns out that is exactly what it it was. Along one wall was a row of new, comfy looking leather recliners. Their setup looked nice. Across from the recliners, was a small raised platform of mattress separated by curtains. Their setup looked out of place and not particularly nice.
map-friendsweb.jpg

I was greeted by a beautiful lady by the name of Khun Ja. I think that's correct. I said Jan? She said no Ja. K. Ja is about 40 and possesses a classical beauty not unlike Katherine Hepburn: slim but athletic, confident, very nice to look at and talk to (not that I've spoken to Kate).

She gave me the best foot massage I've had in a long time. In particular, she did not use that little stick others use to painfully rub on your foot bones and on the end and in between your toes. I tried to make small talk but mostly sat in silence. However, I was not going to let the opportunity of a beautiful lady slip away without asking her out. I invited her for a drink. She politely and tactfully turned me down explaining she was very busy and had no time. This at least led to an interesting discussion.

Turns out she has owned the massage operation since August. As such she has been working non-stop since she took over. But I think that is to be expected in a new business. She is putting money into upgrading the fixtures and furnishings as she can afford to. This explained the mix of old and new, tasteful appointments. It is her intention to give the entire place more of a true spa feeling.

As I was the only person in there, my massage went into overtime and we sat and talked for a while after. I returned on two further occasions and had a foot massage and a Thai massage by 2 of her employees. They were decent also.

I encourage everyone to support this very nice lady's efforts. Her business card says foot, Thai, oil and aroma massage. If extras are on offer, it was not obvious. My best guess is that they are generally not on offer and would be unusual. But hey, I could be wrong.

street-friends.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...