10 must do"s while im in bkk.not monger related

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Thompson House

BTW, I understand that watching Muay Thai at Lumpini will cost a foreigner 2000B a ticket, whereas the locals only pay 400B for a ticket

i had planned on watching some Muay Thai. This time around. For that price??????

It's closing in 2014,so better go this year:

http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/sports/end-of-an-era-lumpini-stadium-closing-in-2014/

I can't believe the price of tickets on the official website

http://www.muaythailumpini.com/FAQ.html

This gives better info.

http://www.muaythaionline.org/features/thaistadiums.html

When I went I paid 400 baht at the ticket window.Touts were offering 2000 baht tickets for ringside,but I just walked past them up to the ticket booth and paid for a 400 baht ticket.

• 7 months later...

Great suggestions so far. You could also visit The Golden Mount, which offers spectacular views of the city. And getting there is fun too: head up Askoe (or Soi Thonglor) to Petchaburi Road, and hop on a klong taxi heading west. Keep going to the end of the klong, and it's about a 300 yard walk. You can also get to the Jim Thompson House this way, if you like.

Ancient City is fun, and the crocodile farm is a short taxi ride away. The croc farm also has elephant shows, a zoo, and even a gun range where you can shoot M1911's for about a buck a round. 

Yet another option is a day trip to Ayutthaya. I think you can take the train (don't quote me on that), and you can definitely take a van or taxi. A van will be the cheaper option, and you can find them at Victory Monument, for about 60 baht per passenger. I took a taxi part of the way back, and it was horribly expensive... about 400 baht from Future World mall to Soi Thonglor.

The Dusit Zoo is ok, though I've seen much better. I got there the hard way, by walking from Victory Monument. Along the way, you will walk past the Royal Residence. I'm pretty sure that teak building is in the neighborhood as well.

One bucket-list item that I have yet to do is dinner or drinks at Sirocco, located at Lebua Tower. It was the rooftop restaurant featured in Hangover 2. I'll start saving money now for that one  :lol:

One bucket-list item that I have yet to do is dinner or drinks at Sirocco, located at Lebua Tower. It was the rooftop restaurant featured in Hangover 2. I'll start saving money now for that one :lol:

Don't waste your money! I went there and spent over 20,000 baht on dinner and A drink with 3 friends. The view is amazing. The food was awful.

On topic- albeit many moons too late for the OP-

German microbrewery and live show at Tawandang. Amazing food, great beer (3L towers) fun show and overall great atmosphere

Edited by Kimao

Don't waste your money! I went there and spent over 20,000 baht on dinner and A drink with 3 friends. The view is amazing. The food was awful.

On topic- albeit many moons too late for the OP-

German microbrewery and live show at Tawandang. Amazing food, great beer (3L towers) fun show and overall great atmosphere                                                                              

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it's drinks only at Sirocco.

I keep hearing about Tawandang, and it seems impressive. My current favorite place is the Baan Rai Cafe, on Soi Ekamai. Is there any comparison between the two, other than the fact that Tawandang is quite a bit larger?

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it's drinks only at Sirocco.

I keep hearing about Tawandang, and it seems impressive. My current favorite place is the Baan Rai Cafe, on Soi Ekamai. Is there any comparison between the two, other than the fact that Tawandang is quite a bit larger?

I like baan rai as well, but they are not similar at all.

I put off going to Tawandang for quite a while, but after spending an evening there about two weeks ago I'll be back within the month for sure.

I had about 5 dishes between the 3 of us and was pleased with them all. The shows weren't anything spectacular, but just created a fun atmosphere.

It seems like a place foreigners would really love, but I was the only white guy there during my visit.

At Sirocco they will ask if you want dinner or just drinks. Tell them you want the sky bar. Worth a drink to enjoy the view and have a Hangover moment (the drink named the hangover martini wasnt great) but it can often be quite crowded and kills the atmosphere a bit.

Edited by Kimao
  • Upvote 1

I like baan rai as well, but they are not similar at all.

I put off going to Tawandang for quite a while, but after spending an evening there about two weeks ago I'll be back within the month for sure.

I had about 5 dishes between the 3 of us and was pleased with them all. The shows weren't anything spectacular, but just created a fun atmosphere.

It seems like a place foreigners would really love, but I was the only white guy there during my visit.

At Sirocco they will ask if you want dinner or just drinks. Tell them you want the sky bar. Worth a drink to enjoy the view and have a Hangover moment (the drink named the hangover martini wasnt great) but it can often be quite crowded and kills the atmosphere a bit.

Great info, thanks! And a well-deserved rep point to boot...

• 3 months later...

If your in Banger on a weekend the Chatachuk market is a must visit (BTS stop mo chit)

Seen Sirocco/Sky Bar mentioned above, but there are other great alternative rooftop bars especially with sirocco being busy from the 'hangover' tourists in the city including Vertigo Moon Bar @ Banyan Tree, Red Sky @ Centara Grand.

Take a stroll in Lumphini Park if you fancy escaping the hustle of the city, try and spot some huge monitor lizards here.

Some great bars and restaurants can be found out in Thong Lor