Dentistry

Morning all.

I'm arriving 21st May and planning to stay in Bkk for a fortnight, with maybe a few days in Pats.

Have been to Los many times back in the 80's and 90's but have been MIA for the last 10 years.

Did a search on the forums but nothing came up for Dentists.

What I'm after is some advice on getting some work done while I'm in Bkk.

Basically I'm looking at getting a complete replacement for my upper teeth via implant dentistry and was wondering if anyone has had experience and can make some recommendations.

Looking at a few sites it doesn't seem their prices are any better than what I can get the work done for in Australia but I was always under the impression it would be a lot cheaper in BKK.

As an expample the sires I've checked quote an implant to be about 2k US, which is what I can get an implant done for over here.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I have had quite a lot of dentist work done in Pattaya as I used to live and work there. I haven't had implants but have had crowns and root canals done with no problems at all. This was at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

I was quoted $9000 in Australia to have 4 root canals and crowns done. Went to Pattaya and paid $3500 and that included the return air ticket. I did stay in a 500 baht a night room to cut costs a little.

Morning all.

I'm arriving 21st May and planning to stay in Bkk for a fortnight, with maybe a few days in Pats.

Have been to Los many times back in the 80's and 90's but have been MIA for the last 10 years.

Did a search on the forums but nothing came up for Dentists.

What I'm after is some advice on getting some work done while I'm in Bkk.

Basically I'm looking at getting a complete replacement for my upper teeth via implant dentistry and was wondering if anyone has had experience and can make some recommendations.

Looking at a few sites it doesn't seem their prices are any better than what I can get the work done for in Australia but I was always under the impression it would be a lot cheaper in BKK.

As an expample the sires I've checked quote an implant to be about 2k US, which is what I can get an implant done for over here.

Cheers

Friend of mine had the whole upper set replaced by implants here in the UK: for £10,000 . Look good though

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i've pretty much found the same thing that prices arn't anywhere near as good as I had expected. Now its probably because I was looking in Bangkok rather than Pattaya but I found implants ranged from 1.5-2.5k and was pretty much the same as Australia. Bumrungrad was horribly over-priced when I finally managed to get a response out of them. The other thing that scared me was going to one of the smaller guys and having them screw and implant up etc

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised by these comments, this is not my experience at all.

Quoted $20k in Australia I will get the work done here for $8k.

I think you will find general work is cheaper, crowns, extractions, etc. But obviously one or two operations will not make up for the flight and accommodation.

When it comes to implants, I think you will find that maybe it is only slightly cheaper, say 25%, but what you may be missing is that the technique is more advanced, for instance they can do 'all on 4' which is a row of top or bottom using only 4 implants, whereas in Aussie you may find that it takes 6 implants, (therefore more money and pain). I also can't see how you will get the care, professionalism or time over quality either - no rushing, consultancy and decision making is free in Thailand - not so in Aussie.

There are also lots of extras that you will get burnt with in Australia, for example a bridge may involve 4 extractions and 2 crowns, this is where the cost mounts up, whereas when you take that into account in Thailand, the total is more likely 50% cheaper.

I'd suggest you look again and think about the entire package.