Checkinn99 - bar & live music on Sukhumvit bw 5&7

Would you walk down Checkinn's small alley?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Checkinn99 has a small alley entrance - been inside?

• Best Kept Secret entertainment - been there already
    • Bit dubious.. .but would only look inside for curiousity
    • Looks too seedy...but would only go in with a friend!

Found this great live band / restuarant. Just 15 - 20 metres up from the corner of Soi 5 and halfway to Soi7 (opposite Landmark Hotel) is Checkin99 -sort of a wierd mix of old style night club / cosy bar / dancing. But they have Great steaks - reasonable prices. .. Decore looks like it is out of a time capsule from the 1970s... some of the staff have worked there for over 30 years.. waiters with bow ties. Inside is like Ricks Bar from Casblanca!! It even has waterfalls, stork statues and old style plaster parrots on the walls! The best part of this place is the incredible Philippine girl band that do almost non-stop Caberet style entertainment from about 8pm to 1.30am every night are both gorgeous and immensely talented. They sing anything... all the oldies, rock and in between - and an amazing array of Aussie rock (new Oz owner)! for the Aussies - they sing everything from Skyhooks, LRB., INXS, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel, Daddy Cool, Men at Work ACDC Midnight Oil...It is totally "Wife and couple" friendly (not a girlie bar - but many good looking hostesses who will join your table only if asked and make sure the singlies have company...they are great with single expat women and making sure everyone is up and dancing) it is a real oasis for good no-hassles entertainment in that area... plenty of dancing.. or just watching the band. Can't imagine that I have walked past so many times and not gone down that ally!! not much they can do with the small entrance but still a great place... and a real "best kept secret" of Bangkok night life.

Interesting! I like beer bars off the beaten path with live music & a cozy atmosphere. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely pass it a visit next round in Bangkok. Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Interesting! I like beer bars off the beaten path with live music & a cozy atmosphere. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely pass it a visit next round in Bangkok. Cheers!

Hi Tmoney - did you eventually swing by?

I will be in BKK next week. Have been living in Thailand for more than 10 years (not BKK though) and never heard of this place before. If it is as good as I think it is, I will be kicking myself...

Good food is a plus, but how about the girls ? What are the options and what is the norm with respect to money ?

Dropped by the other day... around 9 pm, was a bit quite, food was okay, the band is good too. Wasn't really in a party mood and no 'companion' ladies around so after finishing dinner and when they band took a break around 10 pm, I left.

I guess it is a lot busier over the weekends.