Tailors

Subbing to this thread! I'm back in LOS hopefully by May and keen to get some suits made if I can get great quality but at a lower price than at home. I've heard good things in the past about Raja's but it seems now that every second shop is named Raja's or some variation of!. Hopefully some good suggestion will pop up here. Will definitely check out thai square fashion and armani's.

If you do tell them that you intend to get a quote from the other store as well, and this will help to keep the price down a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good tailors in Bangkok? I know there are many shady ones but I've used Armani's on Sukumvit Soi 8 a few times. If anyone has been there would they vouch for the quality and prices? Fashion is not my forte so I can't really be a good judge myself.

• 1 month later...

I've tried a number of tailors around BKK but currently go to Rajawongse next to the Landmark Hotel.

Decent quality and prices.

As with all tailors absolutely make sure that you know what you want and communicate this precisely.

Cheers will give this place a try

Not so much looking for a new suit but are there any tailors around that do clothing alterations? Most of the ones I tried on Sukhumvit last time were only interested in selling me a new suit. Gave up after about 5 different shops.

S'n'D

Not so much looking for a new suit but are there any tailors around that do clothing alterations? Most of the ones I tried on Sukhumvit last time were only interested in selling me a new suit. Gave up after about 5 different shops.

S'n'D

I had a jacket, pants and 2 shirts made at Tailor on Ten, which is actually on Suk Soi 8 near the end. Bit of a walk and a little more expensive than those on Suk. But I think it is a good sign that they don't need touts on the street trying to get you inside.

Reviews here

• 8 months later...

I use Raja's Fashions on the even side of Suk next to Nana BTS station. I think the prices there are higher than almost every other tailor on Suk (THB 12K for a suit, which is higher than the advertised prices outside the shops), but apart from being satisfied from what they did for me (suit and shirts), I noted:

a) Raja's always has a constant stream of customers (Americans, Aussies, Brits, Japs, HK) at all times, which is much more than I can say for almost every other tailor in Suk

B) Many repeat customers - sons who got referred to Raja's by their dads, customers coming in to order 9 shorts or 4 suits

c) Close attention to detail throughout the measurement and fitting process (Bobby took the measurements and both he and Raja did the fittings - had 3 fittings to get everything right)

So it seems to me that they have a well deserved reputation for quality work, if that is what you are looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Ten years ago one could get shirts and suits material on par with Hong Kong and excellent workmanship for a very good price.

These days the fabric quality is terrible (the cheapest) in the typical tailor shops and the manufacture is worse than mass production. There is good fabric to be found in Bangkok, but not from tailor shops. One has to go to a reputable fabric shop (there is one on the side Soi of the Emporium, forgot the name). They are not tailors, they only sell material, mainly for women clothing, but they do have top quality cotton for shirts (Egyptian for heavier shirts, Swiss voile for lightweight), and some wool selection for suits. Then, you have to find a real Indian tailor (usually an old man!), or a Thai seamstress who is skilled at men clothing (some of the young generation are very fashion aware and quality conscious). The total price will likely be at least double the tailor prices, but you do get top shelf clothing that will last.

If you do go to a tailor, DEMAND that they stitch shirt buttons by hand so you don't lose buttons every wash. Most are machine stitched these days.

Currently I get pants and jackets made while travelling in Spain or Italy for 300-800 Euro, top quality fabric, excellent workmanship. I am on a hunt for a good shirt maker in Bangkok.

• 6 months later...