Things to Do and See in Thailand

In my many trips to Thailand I've spent most of my time either working or enjoying the nightlife.  On my upcoming trips I've committed to branching out and seeing more of the sights and the culture.  Anyone have suggestions on what to do or see in Thailand? Or suggestions on what NOT to do or see, disappointments

What I've done

• Visited the beach ... Koh Samui, Phuket, Koh Chang, Pattaya (hahaha)
  • Visited a few temples in BKK
  • Tiger park (disappointing)
  • Floating market (ditto)
  • Maeklong Railway market wiki

Hope to do

CXW, definitely recommend the Bridge over the River Kwai...although it's now commercialized, it's still a fun one-day adventure.  I went in 2002...tourist bus picked us up from the hotel, stopped on the way up for lunch, then spent about two-three hours there.  Quite nice.  

I saw the movie, and was glad I went.

Edited by DGD
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DGD said:

CXW, definitely recommend the Bridge over the River Kwai...although it's now commercialized, it's still a fun one-day adventure.  I went in 2002...tourist bus picked us up from the hotel, stopped on the way up for lunch, then spent about two-three hours there.  Quite nice.  

I did the "special tourist" train to the River Kwai around 2012 or so.  Pretty nice trip.

But the "special tourist" part of the train has no air conditioning, like some kinda bad joke on falang...  I forget if there were standard passenger cars with AC that people were getting in/out of or not.  The ride back was something I'd have rather skipped.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, little_me said:

I did the "special tourist" train to the River Kwai around 2012 or so.  Pretty nice trip.

But the "special tourist" part of the train has no air conditioning, like some kinda bad joke on falang...  I forget if there were standard passenger cars with AC that people were getting in/out of or not.  The ride back was something I'd have rather skipped.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

If wanting to see the Bridge over the River Khwai, I’d suggest spending a few nights as there are a lot of things to do in the area. Besides the bridge, there’s other WW2 related sites, Ewaran waterfall, and some interesting temples (link).

i usually go to Muay Thai a couple of times each trip. My favorite nights to go are:

Thursday at Rajadamnern: traditional stadium Muay Thai promoted by Petchyindee with gamblers in attendance shouting all night long. The fights are all 5 rounds and tend to be slower paced and more technical than the entertainment Muay Thai that has now become popular. The presence of the gamblers gives an atmosphere that is unique to Thailand imo.

Friday at Lumpinee: entertainment Muay Thai promoted by ONE Championship. Currently the most popular Muay Thai show. Action and knockouts are emphasized under this rule set. Gambling is not allowed at Lumpinee. All fights are 3 rounds except title fights which are 5.

Saturday at Rajadamnern: entertainment Muay Thai promoted by RWS. They have an annual tournament that runs over several months and it’s good to go on tournament nights to see more than one good match-up. Fights are 3 rounds except title fights which are 5.

In Bangkok, Jim Thompson House is worthwhile as well as the nearby Bangkok Art and Culture Center (I’m going here today actually).