New Subway From Airport

TheWombat

Hi Guys !

I don't remember where I read about it, but it said that it will be open in july for the public.

Cheers :rolleyes:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like opening in August 2010 but its been delayed so many times I wouldn't be suprised if this date comes and goes.

I would still catch a metered taxi into BKK, just because its cheap and you get dropped off at your hotel so you don't have to drag your bags around. I'll start using the rail line when the expressway gets so choked that it resembles a parking lot. The way BKK traffic is going this might be sooner than I think.

• 2 months later...

Some times they like to kick these things off around some kind of royal event - King or Queens b-day or the like.

Keeping in line with this then I'd say the earliest they will open the line will be Aug (Queens b-day Aug 12) - but I think they will be lucky to make Dec (Kings B-day Dec 5).

• 1 month later...

Some guy on Flyertalk took a test run. Here's what he had to say: I took the time this week to find out how the new Airport Link will work. I took BTS to Phaya Thai station and the City Link to the airport, walked up into the airport and back to the City Link.

Observations:

* There is no connection between Phaya Thai station and the Airport Link. You have to go down to the street, walk along the street and then take an escalator or elevator up to the ticket hall.

* There are 3 levels at the City Link station:

1. The first above the street has no current function but could be tied into BTS if they spanned the 10 meter gap between the City Link section and the BTS ticket level. Otherwise, this level serves no apparent purpose.

2. The next level, the ticket hall, is reached by escalator or stairs. Security checks are performed at this level after the gates.

3. The final level is the platform.

* The City Link trains are very different than the photos shown of the Express trains. The City Link are very similar to BTS except the seating is bench-style i.e. not individual as in BTS and the depth of the bench is very shallow and extremely uncomfortable for this farang.

* There are no luggage racks. There is an open area at the end of the car that I guess you could put luggage or you could pile it in front of you.

* As the train did not stop at any station, it took 16 minutes each direction. The ride was relatively smooth and certainly didn't give the impression of the real speed we were doing (other than seeing that we were moving faster than every car on the tollway).

* Some of the stations are set up to have separate tracks for the City Link and the Express (possibly even all of the stations between the airport and Makkasan. This would allow the Express to pass the City Link. The express track terminates at Makkasan.

* The signage at the airport seems pretty good. One thing I didn't see was a distinction for the Express versus the City Link but I assume that will be in place when the Express service is running.

* There are moving sidewalks at connecting the lower level of the airport terminal with the City Link / Express ticket hall. They are the slowest moving sidewalks I have ever encountered.

Comments:

* There may be an elevator down from Phaya Thai BTS but I did not see it. I had to walk down a lot of stairs, first from the platform and then from the ticket hall. I had figured that taking the Airport train would be ideal during rain given how jammed up Bangkok traffic can get. Unfortunately, there is no way I could see to get from Phaya Thai BTS to the City Link station without getting soaked. Even when it isn't raining, you would be challenged if you had anything other than a light carry-on bag.

* I was glad that the trip lasted 16 minutes each way as sitting on those benches for 30 minutes would be challenging. Given the lack of luggage racks, you may find it more functional and comfortable to sit on your luggage. The Express train seats look much better.

* At the Phaya Thai City Link station, there are a lot of staircases and only a few escalators. This seems very odd to me given that it is on airport train where you would expect people to have baggage. I would have expected lots of escalators and a few staircases for backup.

* While we only "drove" through Makkasan station, I will say that it is massive. It appears to be an entire airport terminal. Not sure why they have elected to so much money on this but...

I hope that in the coming months, they will connect the BTS and City Link concourses. There is no indication that this will be done but it did take several years for Central Chidlom to be connected to Chidlom BTS so there is always hope.

Edited by wackyjacky

• 1 month later...