New Subway From Airport

TheWombat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone tried the new train/subway from the airport? What's your take -- worth it or better to stick with a taxi?

Maybe it will open by the King's Birthday (December 5), but I wouldn't bet on seeing it open this year.

I am arriving from Singapore into bkk about 4pm on my next visit and i know the traffic will be hell around that time, so think their will be a definite advantage to using the subway during the daytime. But if arriving later at night i think taxis would be more convenient. I too will not be holding my breath for the completion on this line!

• 2 weeks later...

It was set to open on the Queen's Birthday (Aug. 12)--well, after many previous delays--but alas, it did not. I was hoping to check it out for the first time on my recent trip, too, since I was traveling lighter than usual (I wouldn't take it if I had a lot of bags, I'd still go with a taxi). My bet is Dec. 5, they pretty much always open such things on either the King or Queen's Birthday. That is, of course, if it's going to open at all in 2009...TIT.

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=11659

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

BANGKOK, Sept 5 (TNA) -- The long-delayed Airport Rail Link project, providing direct rail service to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, will start providing free service to the public from this December 5 which coincides with the birthday celebrations of His Majesty the King, said State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yuthana Tupcharoen.

People interested in free rides on December 5 may apply for tickets beginning October 1 at either the Airport Rail Link office or at SRT headquarters, Mr. Yuthana said.

Test runs of the system have been conducted since February by Siemens, the manufacturer and installer of the rail system, and no problems have been found. However, independent engineers will inspect the safety system for the next three months and if no problems are found, the system will be ready for operation.

The SRT board has also hired Deutsche Bahn International of Germany for Bt85 million to train Airport Rail Link staff. The board exports to launch the system on December 5, Mr Yuttana added.

The 28-km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi International Airport in adjacent Samut Prakan province and the City Air Terminal in Bangkok’s Makkasan area.

The Airport Rail Link is owned and will be operated by SRT, through a subsidiary company, which will administer the overall operations.

According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route. (TNA)

Business News : Last Update : 11:34:19 5 September 2009 (GMT+7:00)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrived by air in BKK, and had to take private taxi into town, due no current subway. There is a bus schedule into various areas of Bangkok, but the times are spread out. Price is a lot better than taxi, if you dont have to wait too long. Down by gate 8 at bottom floor. You can take advantage of the small food court there that the airport employees use. Very inexpensive.

Additionally, ther is a bus schedule into Pattaya as well, but the same problem.... they are spread at 2 to 4 hour intervals (same location)

• 3 months later...