Is over staying your visa really bad?

playnice

Well happy new year everyone 

My visa extension will expire on 7th January 

Due to my nationality i can only go to KL MALAYSIA to get new extension 

When you calculate the ticket,  hotel , taxi and eating it adds up to 20k baht not to mention the hassle of going to airport 

So my question is.. how bad is it to stay for one month over your visa and just pay the 20k baht penalty? 

Any help appreciated 

Worst case scenario if you are apprehended by Immigration you can not re-enter Thailand for 5 years. If you are staying in a Hotel they are bound to report foreign guests to Immigration. Chances of being caught low but still a chance.

3 hours ago, romill said:

Worst case scenario if you are apprehended by Immigration you can not re-enter Thailand for 5 years. If you are staying in a Hotel they are bound to report foreign guests to Immigration. Chances of being caught low but still a chance.

Thanks for the reply 

I heard that if you get caught by police for anything you could jail time.. is that true?

1 hour ago, dodi44 said:

Is travel by land an option? It's usually cheaper (and more arduous).

Mmm i never thought about it..  yet it's more time consuming.. 

I guess if ones stays out of troubles.. chances are they will never have a reason to apprehend you.

when you leave, you pay the fine and might end up on a blacklist or watch list. everyone i know who has overstayed but stayed under the automatic ban limit has been able to get in but the fines can be eye watering.

Every time you leave they will check the date on your entrance stamp. So, you really can't not get caught, just a matter of whether they hold and deport you or if you're already at the airport ready to leave.

There are trains to Malaysia, if travel costs are the issue, they are cheap. Not terribly comfortable, and about 2 days to Kuala Lumpur one way. Just to the border is about a solid day, if I remember (and things didn't change) we switch from Thai to Malaysian trains at the border, so the Thai train probably loaded up and headed back to Bangkok... But also not sure if stepping across the train station and stepping back would renew a tourist visa...

I overstayed on my first visa run. The date on my passport said the 5th (I thought), but the border guard said it was the 3rd. To this day I still think it said the 5th. Anyway, I just had to pay a fine and that was the end of it.