Names of some pills to help with tension

dodi44

I came across a post on a thread before that mentioned that if someone is worried about taking something home with them that they did not intend they should take xyz pills. Sadly I cant seem to find that thread anymore.

So, if someone is worried about syphilis or something similar what should they look for at the pharmacy? Just want to cover my bases and dont want to take anything extra home. Please also consider the fact that I'm not actually in Thailand and cannot talk to some of the pharmacists that are in the know on what to give me. I'm in another country close by and partook in some local flavors. What pills should I be trying to get in case I picked up something during my travels? Thanks for any insights.

Prep , rubbers , prayers is what I have done in my last visit , you may have to consult a doctor of your choice instead looking for threads as these threads may help you in understanding the basics...

but for PreP you have to undergo a few tests before you actually start taking it , rest few transmissions can be eliminated by antibiotics which again you have to visit diagnostics and doctor ... 

Imo ... if you are that scared of any transmissions always play safe and doctor consultation is a must !!! 

You may also find best clinic/doctor suggestions in Thailand by some of the veterans here.. 

i don't know of any preventative thing for syphilis but it's treatable if you catch it early. PrEP apparently reduces risk of HIV infection, but i don't worry about that as being circumcised, and having no interest in butt stuff, my odds are around 1 in 5,000 (according to meta analyses) of getting infected IF i bang someone infected.

so in general my approach is do something stupid first, then go get tested for various things. it's working so far.

might be worth getting a jab for Hep B and even Polio if you didn't have the Polio jab when you were a kid (it's transmitted via poop, and you think you're safe from poop but poop is everywhere and it doesn't take much). there's apparently a dengue vaccine, but i don't know if it's effective, and you're unlikely to get dengue if you're not off trekking in the wilderness.

Standard treatment of Syphilis (of less than one year) is:

- a single dose of benzathine penicillin type G injection (you could just ask at the hospital);

- or 14 days of doxycycline, twice daily (for those allergic to penicillin).

Actually, 7 days of this would likely cure Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, though not ideal first-line treatment. It is used when the preferred treatments can't be used, due to allergy.

If you wanted to prevent Syphilis infection (as well as other bacterial STD) before it occurs, you could just take one doxycycline a day, but it wouldn't cure an existing infection. 

This is actually the anti-malarial dose, but it would stop a bacterial infection, just as it would stop a malaria infection.

Edited by NanAtSOL
  • Like 1

That said, I don't think messing with pharmaceuticals is wise, especially for things that can be cured if you get them.

Why not just mellow out and go for a screening at around 6 weeks? Even the most basic blood tests are about 99% accurate then, so if you don't have any symptoms you could probably just forget about it then.

And if you are really anxious about HIV, you can get a NAAT test at the Red Cross which is 99% after 10 days.

Edited by NanAtSOL

Just noticed that you are in a nearby country, doxycycline is an anti-malarial and also effective at preventing bacterial STDs -- before you get them  -- though I'd be far more concerned about the malaria!

Edited by NanAtSOL

1 hour ago, NanAtSOL said:

If you wanted to prevent Syphilis infection (as well as other bacterial STD) before it occurs, you could just take one doxycycline a day, but it wouldn't cure an existing infection. 

preventive antibiotics bring their own set of problems, such as nuking your gut biome (good with the bad).

circumcision also reduces the odds of bacterial infection so i don't worry about these much. it's a great option for the type of guy for whom the worrying will spoil the fun though.

13 minutes ago, schnytzal said:

preventive antibiotics bring their own set of problems, such as nuking your gut biome (good with the bad).

Totally agree with this part.

And I think it makes zero sense treating yourself for an STD you likely don't have, when you could just wait to see if you have it and then get the antibiotics, if you need them.

The only way this makes sense is if you have a wife and kids at home and you want to make sure there's no catastrophic damage.

Edited by NanAtSOL

Thanks for all the level headed advice. @NanAtSOL @schnytzal @ruck

The last time I went to the Dr about something that I may or may not have contracted they gave me a set of two pills (Damned if I can remember what it was) and said that will cover anything that may be up and coming. Besides that they took a urine sample and some blood. Said that if anything came up that was not covered by the two pills they can prescribe me something.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what a good all purpose antibacterial may be (doxycycline possibly?) and I would start on that before my trip home and consult a Dr when I reach the Western hemisphere. I will stick to the general consensus on this thread... Just wait to get home to a Dr. I'll be back before Monday so it's not like I have to wait long.

13 hours ago, dodi44 said:

The last time I went to the Dr about something that I may or may not have contracted they gave me a set of two pills (Damned if I can remember what it was) and said that will cover anything that may be up and coming. Besides that they took a urine sample and some blood. Said that if anything came up that was not covered by the two pills they can prescribe me something.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what a good all purpose antibacterial may be (doxycycline possibly?) and I would start on that before my trip home and consult a Dr when I reach the Western hemisphere. I will stick to the general consensus on this thread... Just wait to get home to a Dr. I'll be back before Monday so it's not like I have to wait long.

Not sure that I have understood correctly so apologies in advance if I have it wrong

By the sounds of this you are looking for something in country to take before you return so that you are clean? In which case have you considered going to a local Thai clinic and get tested before you return. For example try a Pulse clinic, I am sure there will be many other options as well, see

https://www.pulse-clinic.com/locations/pulse-bangkok

13 hours ago, dodi44 said:

What makes you think you got something?

If there aren't any symptoms, why self medicate? And even then why not go to a doctor anyway?

Edited by NanAtSOL