ladyboy pickpockets

4 hours ago, quietguy76 said:

You never wear gold or any other super flashy jewelry in Bkk, all they do is take it and sell it. Beaded (non gold/silver) bracelets and necklaces are fine since they aren't in demand.  Knew that from homework prior to arriving. 

they like bling phones too. carrying a phone is essential IMO (how else does one collect bargirls' Line?) but keep close track of it and your wallet. especially if ANYONE jostles you. Westerners do this shit too, back when the Ambassador Hotel had a night club, a friend of mine had his phone lifted by a couple of 'tourists' working together.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, schnytzal said:

they like bling phones too. carrying a phone is essential IMO (how else does one collect bargirls' Line?) but keep close track of it and your wallet. especially if ANYONE jostles you. Westerners do this shit too, back when the Ambassador Hotel had a night club, a friend of mine had his phone lifted by a couple of 'tourists' working together.

Wow, tourists robbing tourists? This world is too cruel smh!

ironically, so many (white) tourists are ultra wary of the African dudes hanging out around Sukumvit. these guys are, in my experience, VERY chill. if they're spread out at intervals asking you what's up they're corner boys, dealing, but they're very chill.

also there are African dudes with 'real' jobs, and students, etc you'll find hanging out in sports bars, great fun to watch a football match with 'em, they tend to be knowledgeable and the banter's great.

Ladyboys on the street, and tourists in clubs and around backpacker areas like Kaosan Road, these are who to keep an eye on.

that said, BKK is one of the least dangerous cities i've been to, i've lived in Thailand since 2005. the time i got my phone lifted i was drunk and stupid. just be alert, especially if someone jostles you.

8 hours ago, schnytzal said:

ironically, so many (white) tourists are ultra wary of the African dudes hanging out around Sukumvit. these guys are, in my experience, VERY chill. if they're spread out at intervals asking you what's up they're corner boys, dealing, but they're very chill.

also there are African dudes with 'real' jobs, and students, etc you'll find hanging out in sports bars, great fun to watch a football match with 'em, they tend to be knowledgeable and the banter's great.

Ladyboys on the street, and tourists in clubs and around backpacker areas like Kaosan Road, these are who to keep an eye on.

that said, BKK is one of the least dangerous cities i've been to, i've lived in Thailand since 2005. the time i got my phone lifted i was drunk and stupid. just be alert, especially if someone jostles you.

All of this. The African dudes don’t bother you at all. People “bumping you” are the biggest worry. And even then, it is pretty damn safe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wilsonc123 said:

I usually just walk with my hands in my pockets in the crowded Sukhumvit areas.

sukumvit's not crowded enough to be much of a worry, unlike, say, walking street in Patts. i have never had even the slightest problem, but i'm large, don't reply to street hassle, and walk very fast.

generally where one gets in trouble is being drunk off one's ass and deciding to banter a bit with the 'hello where you going' Ladyboys. that's how i got my phone removed in Patts many years ago. i'm not into Ladyboys at all, but if i were i'd look at bars, online, etc. *not* streetwalkers.  probably most of them are not dodgy, but how can you tell which ones are only P4P and not out to lift your valuables?

20 hours ago, schnytzal said:

sukumvit's not crowded enough to be much of a worry, unlike, say, walking street in Patts. i have never had even the slightest problem, but i'm large, don't reply to street hassle, and walk very fast.

generally where one gets in trouble is being drunk off one's ass and deciding to banter a bit with the 'hello where you going' Ladyboys. that's how i got my phone removed in Patts many years ago. i'm not into Ladyboys at all, but if i were i'd look at bars, online, etc. *not* streetwalkers.  probably most of them are not dodgy, but how can you tell which ones are only P4P and not out to lift your valuables?

It’s been shoulder to shoulder walking between Asoke and Nana before, especially at night. The last thing I want is to walk up to Wood Bar only to realize my pockets are empty. It's not going to suck itself.

14 hours ago, wilsonc123 said:

It’s been shoulder to shoulder walking between Asoke and Nana before, especially at night. The last thing I want is to walk up to Wood Bar only to realize my pockets are empty. It's not going to suck itself.

i'm back and forth on lower Suk about two evenings a month at a minimum... and i think your idea of 'shoulder to shoulder' is perhaps quite a bit less congested than mine lol

if they ain't actually touching you, just pay attention to what's going on around you and you'll be fine and don't chit chat with street Ladyboys even if you're chasing Ladyboys.