Done some research, still have questions for those that LIVE in BKK

Okay, so I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on prices of living in a nice area in BKK. 

My goal is to find a luxury building with month to month rental (6 months max). I want a 2/2 condo with balcony, great view near the BTS.

I am hearing (from youtubers) anywhere from $499/mo to seeing links of $1,500 USD/month. While $1,500 isn't a problem, I think that still sounds high for Thailand. 

SO, if I wanted to rent a ritzy 2/2 in Asoke or another hot spot near the railway, what am I realistically looking at? My retirement funds allow me about $5,600/mo in total spending, although I could go over that but don't want to.

If you want a 2 bedroom in a nice condo in a nice area (Phrom Pong for example) you will be looking at at least 35000thb p/m. At least. For my tupenceworth, you are better living slightly further away (Phra kanaong for example) and just making sure you are walking distance to a BTS. A couple of stops takes around 8 minutes, but could save you cash.

Also, really question if you need the second bedroom. Many get one, but rarely use it. You are better off with a bigger one bedroom so the actual living space is larger.

Edited by Herbby
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MrRodsAsianBeaver said:

Okay, so I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on prices of living in a nice area in BKK. 

My goal is to find a luxury building with month to month rental (6 months max). I want a 2/2 condo with balcony, great view near the BTS.

I am hearing (from youtubers) anywhere from $499/mo to seeing links of $1,500 USD/month. While $1,500 isn't a problem, I think that still sounds high for Thailand. 

SO, if I wanted to rent a ritzy 2/2 in Asoke or another hot spot near the railway, what am I realistically looking at? My retirement funds allow me about $5,600/mo in total spending, although I could go over that but don't want to.

While I do not live in Bangkok, I live in Pattaya.

But I was researching heavily when I was considering moving to Bangkok.

What you describe near Asoke would be $1500+ per month.

Unless you get a 2 bedroom that is very small.

You could take a look on sites like fazwaz. If you want real luxury, they have something to offer. Most prices for real luxury around this area start around 90.000 THB, the first penthouse style starts around 140.000 THB

Good points. Probably going to find a smaller one bedroom. Looks like it is a 6 month minimum rental with first month/two months rent in deposit. Most appear to be one year leases. Still not bad, but the two buildings i'm looking at have luxury amenities right near the BTS. 

It will be a big downgrade from what i'm used to space-wise, but the ladies and the possibilities i'm sure will more than make up for living in a tiny apartment.

32 minutes ago, MrRodsAsianBeaver said:

Good points. Probably going to find a smaller one bedroom. Looks like it is a 6 month minimum rental with first month/two months rent in deposit. Most appear to be one year leases. Still not bad, but the two buildings i'm looking at have luxury amenities right near the BTS. 

It will be a big downgrade from what i'm used to space-wise, but the ladies and the possibilities i'm sure will more than make up for living in a tiny apartment.

It’s just how it is here (space wise). Bigger normally means older. If you want big and new it costs. I was the same when I moved here, but you will be surprised how quickly you get used too smaller digs. Factor yourself in a nice pool too as most have them.

The online searching can be difficult as it gets out of date quickly. Your best bet is to get an agent and just give them your requirements. You don’t pay them as they simply get commission from the rentals agreement.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrRodsAsianBeaver said:

There is a good Facebook group that has rentals and there are agents on there that can help you find what you are looking for.  You get what you pay for and if you end up in "a tiny apartment", it is only because you are not paying for a larger apartment.  But consider the fact that you are only staying 6 months, you don't have all of your personal clutter, you will often be out and a smaller apartment costs less to keep cool. 

A new apartment with great facilities and close to the places you want to be doesn't need to be too big to be comfortable.

• Like 1

location depends where you want to spend time. ive lived in soi 4 / soi 8 / phrom phong / ekamai / and on nut. i found ekamai to be a bit too far from nana or Soi Cowboy and too boring unless you are going to wine bars in ekamai/thong lo . for myself phrom phong was great close to massage shops and walking distance to Soi Cowboy and nana with lots of grocery stores and shopping. Ekamai does have bigger condos at lower prices than thong lo or asok but require 12 month leases. getting a good large condo at a good price will be very difficult. alot want min 3 months and prefer 6+. unless its raining you probably wont be spending alot of time at home ( need for extra space ). my favorite living location for nightlife drinking was soi 8 easy walk home and restaurants and 5 min walk to bts. try serenity service apartments on soi 8 sounds close to what you want https://serenityaptbangkok.weebly.com but they go quick when they have open units. or try around soi 12 but they are more expensive.  

Edited by westexpat3
added info
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...