What's the availability of medical care near Sukhumvit?

MajorAdamHenry

Just being on the safe side, I am wondering where a person would go to get a complete STD screening toward the end of a 10 day romp in BKK. I've heard of some pretty impressive medical facilities in Thailand, I might even knock out a Lasik surgery while there. Any suggestions?

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone had any medical treatment at Bumrungrad? Any recommendations or warnings against?

Califdann

I got treated there for food poisoning. Amazing facilities. I've never seen such a clean, modern, well-organized hospital in my life. It puts the US medical system to shame. The whole thing - Dr's visit and meds cost me $68. That's about what it costs me to make an appt with my Dr in US, and that's with insurance.

Bamrungrad caters largely to foreigners. The Arabs really like the place and fly to Bangkok just to go there. The docs are often western trained, but I've been told their ability varies. A US MD told me he was not happy with the questions the Thai MD was asking, so he began firing questions back at the doc. The Thai MD immediately sat up straighter, realising he was dealing with another MD (a surgeon, in fact). Then the Thai doctor became much more thorough in his examination. He obviously wasn't used to being challenged.

I do know that the US Peace Corps in Thailand sends its volunteers to Bamrungrad. That tells you something.

• 3 months later...

i went to Bamrungrad. Its right off Sukhumvit. Nicest hospital I have ever seen in my life. I think I paid ~$60 for everything also. For STD screenings there are cheaper little med stand places in town, but heard they are quick to give you positive results to sell more meds. I dont know if that is really the case though.

For serious issues I wouldnt hesitate to go to Bamrungrad for a second.

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any medical treatment at Bumrungrad? Any recommendations or warnings against?

Califdann

I've several times. Clean, efficient, inexpensive. Try the health screening program.

• 3 weeks later...

I try to avoid hospitals, doctors and the like as I just tend to feel uncomfortable in those types of places but what I can say is that Bumrungrad is the best hospital I have been too. Like everywhere in Asia they seem to have way too many staff overlapping on the same things.

However, it was effcient, clean and welcoming. Also for the assistance I got the price was great too. I heard good things before I went there and I wasn't let down.

even though this topic started 20 months ago will reply!

Enjoy your holiday where a condom unless your not into that, and if you feel worried at the end of your trip get tested when u get back home. on a 10-14 day trip noting is going to come up whilst still in thailand anyway.

I get tested every year just cause I like to know where i stand (if that makes sense)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...