Park Plaza Sukhumvit - Joiner Fee?

Have stayed at both. I prefer the one on soi 18. Quiet area, but not too far away from the action. Nice rooms, but a bit small. Good breakfast. Nice pool area. There is a back entrance to Scratch Dog right by, if you like clubbing. Plenty of FLs there.

The Park Plaza Sukhumvit is older and more worn down. Pool is terrible and the lobby area is not very inviting. Breakfast is about the same.

Both are guest friendly (2017).

Use the search function. These hotels are mentioned every now and then.

http://www.bangkok-addicts.com/forum/topic/6968-park-plaza-hotel-sukhumvit-soi-16-any-good/ (yes, there is an error in the header. It is not on soi 16).

• Upvote 1

Have stayed at both. I prefer the one on soi 18. Quiet area, but not too far away from the action. Nice rooms, but a bit small. Good breakfast. Nice pool area. There is a back entrance to Scratch Dog right by, if you like clubbing. Plenty of FLs there.

The Park Plaza Sukhumvit is older and more worn down. Pool is terrible and the lobby area is not very inviting. Breakfast is about the same.

Both are guest friendly (2017).

Use the search function. These hotels are mentioned every now and then.

http://www.bangkok-addicts.com/forum/topic/6968-park-plaza-hotel-sukhumvit-soi-16-any-good/ (yes, there is an error in the header. It is not on soi 16).

Thanks. Also had both hotels confirm it now. I'm starting to lean towards Soi 18 as well. I was about to book when I noticed a special offer for a place I've stayed before. I'll search first but might have to open another thread to confirm it hasn't introduced a joiner fee in the last 7 years.

Okay. Spoiler alert: I finally got there.

My April 2017 trip was postponed, but I booked and stayed at the PARK PLAZA SOI 18 in December 2017. That's this one: https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g293916-d2049177-Reviews-Park_Plaza_Bangkok_Soi_18-Bangkok.html

I didn't stay at this one, the PARK PLAZA SUKHUMVIT: https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g293916-d939455-Reviews-Park_Plaza_Sukhumvit_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

However, it is VERY confusing. The taxi driver from the airport took me to the wrong one (it's on Rachadapisek Road)  and dropped me off there: it's 20 minutes' walk (or 30-40 mins in a taxi: yup, taxi takes a lot longer - one way roads, in heavy traffic) from the fucker I wanted on Soi 18.

The one I stayed at was okay as accommodation. Room clean. Spacey. Pool passable, if minute. Wi-fi okay. No problem with bringing birds back: everyone knows the score, lots of wink-winking from the bloke on the door (who was a cool dude). I think ID card was always handed over (I was royally drunk as a skunk once or twice so can't recall). I never brought more than one bird back at once.

BUT... the young birds on reception (two or three of them, always the same team) were a right pain in the arse. F*cking rude uppitey bitches. Slow as shit, terrible supercilious attitude: they spoke about customers (me, and anyone else they were serving) in Thai, saying sarcastic catty stuff that my (crap) Thai is good enough to understand wasn't polite or flattering, Really pissed me off. The kind of women you take an instant dislike to because it saves time. They really stressed me out, and as I checked out I gave it to them with both barrels. Of course, I heard then sniggering and calling me a cunt in Thai as I walked away. But I won't be going back.

(The PARK PLAZA SUKHUMVIT, by the way, looked better than the one I stayed at (though I only saw the lobby and reception area. And the staff there were VERY kind and cordial. If it's guest friendly, I'll stay there next time.)

Tom Tit   :blink:

Hope that's not totally unhelpful.

Have fun. Be nice.

Tom TIt  :blink:

Edited by Tom Tit