Do hotels discount if they are quiet?

I will be arriving in LOS this xmas and have been wondering if I should pre book all of my accommodation or wait untill I'm there and see what rate I can get then.

Does anyone have any first hand info if BKK hotels are open droping their rates due to the downturn?

If that is not likely I don't want to leave it till I arrive and end up paying more.

Any feedback from those in the know?

Thanks

I will be arriving in LOS this xmas and have been wondering if I should pre book all of my accommodation or wait untill I'm there and see what rate I can get then.

Does anyone have any first hand info if BKK hotels are open droping their rates due to the downturn?

If that is not likely I don't want to leave it till I arrive and end up paying more.

Any feedback from those in the know?

Thanks

If you were coming to BKK right now it might not be a bad idea to wait until you get here to arrange your hotel. A mate of mine just returned home from a trip here and all he booked was his first night, then he popped into a few hotels the next day and bargined a good rate. Many of the hotels are willing to bargin because of very low occupancy right now. But I don't know if I would risk it come xmas time.

For my next trip, Ive tried emailing hotels that gave me promotion prices and I enquired whether I could get the same price.

The Accor Grand Sukhumvit in Soi 6 said they would give me a discount (but not promotion rate) and will charge 1000 baht less for a room at 2800 baht.

Im trying out a few other before I arrive in February before I commit.

It is certainly worth a try to email quite a few and tell them the price you want to pay. This approach has enabled me to get a room in Pattaya for 1000 baht per night (Its a 1800 baht per night room).

For my next trip, Ive tried emailing hotels that gave me promotion prices and I enquired whether I could get the same price.

The Accor Grand Sukhumvit in Soi 6 said they would give me a discount (but not promotion rate) and will charge 1000 baht less for a room at 2800 baht.

Im trying out a few other before I arrive in February before I commit.

It is certainly worth a try to email quite a few and tell them the price you want to pay. This approach has enabled me to get a room in Pattaya for 1000 baht per night (Its a 1800 baht per night room).

what hotel in Pattaya is giving you this discount seems like a good deal

well done on your behalf

as i sometimes book through Agoda bookings they sometimes will send a price update on specials for bkk hotels. I noticed this week they have Dynasty Grand, which normally never uses these hotel booking agencies at a much cheaper price than you will ever get from booking direct. they will usually have a certain number of hotel on special from week to week, so worth a look.

as i sometimes book through Agoda bookings they sometimes will send a price update on specials for bkk hotels. I noticed this week they have Dynasty Grand, which normally never uses these hotel booking agencies at a much cheaper price than you will ever get from booking direct. they will usually have a certain number of hotel on special from week to week, so worth a look.

I don't know about Dynasty Grand, but in the past most hotels were not willing to even match the prices one could get thru the discount web-sites. Now many will not only match the prices but are willing to offer even better prices if you are there in person and willing to walk out if they don't go a bit lower - in both BKK and Patts.

I don't know about Dynasty Grand, but in the past most hotels were not willing to even match the prices one could get thru the discount web-sites. Now many will not only match the prices but are willing to offer even better prices if you are there in person and willing to walk out if they don't go a bit lower - in both BKK and Patts.

i know someone who stayed there recently through one of these deals and wanted to extend his stay for a couple of nights, but they would not give the same price as what he paid through the agent, but normal price. I think some staff dont have the power to bargain. Depends on the hotels of course.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know someone who stayed there recently through one of these deals and wanted to extend his stay for a couple of nights, but they would not give the same price as what he paid through the agent, but normal price. I think some staff dont have the power to bargain. Depends on the hotels of course.

I've had the same experience many times and had to book in the lobby of the hotel in front of the staff on the laptop. Go have a night out and the next morning the confirmation was in. its quite stupid when you consider they have to pay commission.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but this has one distinct downside. Even in low season the best places fill first and doing it this way dramatically reduces your chances of getting your first choice hotel. If you then end up spending half a day traipsing around finding one you like with availability thats half a day wasted IMO.

I do accept there are benefits to this method but for me having the max' time enjoying myself is the main consideration.

Book ahead. The e-mail the manager trick is probably the best. Most Thai hotel employees will be afraid to bargain. They might 'lose face' with the owner or GM if they go too low. Try 'Latestays' or WOTIF if you wanna check last minute rates. wj