Accomodation during CELTA...

Hello friends, LT PA BM, new BA BM.

I'll hopefully be embarking on the CELTA at IH Bangkok during March / April. Their Bangkok & Board package includes accommodation at the Metropark apartments located in Lumpini Park. At 17000B per month + utilities, this seems a bit steep; especially for the bulk deal (kickbacks?) that they will get. Also, it requires a 20 min bus + 10 min BTS ride to the school.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper / more convenient place?

Peace.Coffee.gif

Dunno. I pay 10,000 for a big house in the suburbs. Utilities run about 600 to 1,800 a month, depending on how much I use the a/c. Another 2,000 for the maid - a bit much but she does a great job and I could never get another one as good. I don't know if you could save all that much compared to 17,000 in that part of town. I presume it includes laundry. Still, if I were going to misbehave I'd want some place away from prying eyes at the school. Sounds like you will be very close to Patpong and temptation. :)

You'll be here during a pretty hot time of the year. You will want that a/c. I've never lived in that area, though I once worked there.

I looked up Metropark Apartments. Seems they have three different rates:

1). Studio Condo – 30sqm – THB 9 000/month

2). 1Br Condos – 42sqm – THB 11 000/month

3). 2Br Condo – 58sqm – THB 15 000/month

If you are not getting the 2 bedroom condo it seems they're ripping you off. Maybe contact them directly?

http://www.mrroomfinder.com/blog/metro-park-sathorn.php

Hey flashermac the 9k baht a month place is not to shabby for the price. went to the site it says it 8k a month, But anyway Question have you stayed their and is it as nice as the picture? Because really this is all you would need for a "Home Base" as it where and cheap on the buggie

Thanks

big_dd465df4751c12b7cd3a202a49306a39.JPG

Edited by jonerich

Never stayed there. I've had nice apartments for 5,000 to 6,000 a month, but they were nowhere near that area. I've always lived near the river, just a stone's throw from the Thonburi side.

Edited by Flashermac

Thanks for the detail Mac, although I'm still confused about the location; is the link you gave for the same condo?

Several agencies give conflicting information. Nearest BTS = Thaksin, Wong Wan Yai, Sathorn etc.

Is the area called Sathorn, Thonburi or Lumpini?

The school is located near the Sala Daeng BTS station.

Lil' help?

Peace.Coffee.gif

EDIT: Here's the details for the Metropark near IH:

http://www.ihbangkok.com/page/87-international_house_bangkok_prestigious_english_school_in_bangkok_celta_th.html

Edited by El Cata

Looks to be the same to me. I only find one Metro Park by googling.

Taksin Bridge station is on the Bangkok side of the river. Wongwian Yai is across the river on the Thonburi side. The Skytrain used to stop a Taksin but now runs to Wongwian Yai. Sathorn is the road the station is on (big wide boulevard now, lots of highrises). Lumpini is the district that includes Sala Daeng - the station opposite the southwest end of Lumpini Park and just north of Patpong. (It was fired on by the black shirt guards supporting the red shirts during the April-May madness, with some travellers killed or wounded.)

Here's a Skytrain map for you to see the locations.

http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp

Taksin Bridge station is on the Bangkok side of the river. Wongwian Yai is across the river on the Thonburi side. The Skytrain used to stop a Taksin but now runs to Wongwian Yai. Sathorn is the road the station is on (big wide boulevard now, lots of highrises). Lumpini is the district that includes Sala Daeng - the station opposite the southwest end of Lumpini Park and just north of Patpong. (It was fired on by the black shirt guards supporting the red shirts during the April-May madness, with some travellers killed or wounded.)

This photo is a bit of Fort Red below the Saladaeng station.

Picture 016.jpg

Edited by Flashermac

The photo is a bit of Fort Red below the Saladaeng station last May.

Don't ask me how I made 2 posts out of the last one. :P

Talking to yourself is the first sign you know. :P

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of research since. Turns out that the school is next to the sala daeng station.

location.jpg

So according to this map, where will I be staying & how close will I be to the school; also how much will it cost to get there.

RouteMap_BTS.gif

Lil 'help again!

Peace.Violin.gif

It looks to me like the apartments must be well on the Thonburi (west) side of the river. I'm not that familiar with that part of the city. Say a 20 minute bus ride to the Skytrain station - maybe 12 or 14 baht on an a/c bus. Then a quick trip to the school - 20 baht (30 at the most). The school must almost be in Patpong, which will make for plenty of temptation. Friday nights should be fun after class. :)

Here are some secretaries at Saladaeng during the red shirt protests. Patpong is just down the street a bit.

saladaeng.jpg