Airport Rail/BTS or Taxi?

I was wondering the opinion of the people that have taken taxi and the train from airport to NANA BTS line stop.  I will be leaving the airport around lunch time so I'm not sure what traffic would look like.  Will only be carrying a small suitcase and backpack so not alot of stuff.  I will be using the BTS to get around the city so public transportation isn't a issue.  

Just throwing the question out there.  

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done both. If you are travelling light the train is a good option. The only problem is switching trains at Siam, lots of stairs. I last took the train a few years ago. There are two, a direct train to Siam, and one that stops at every station. I heard somewhere that the direct train got cancelled so you may want to check

I was wondering the opinion of the people that have taken taxi and the train from airport to NANA BTS line stop. I will be leaving the airport around lunch time so I'm not sure what traffic would look like. Will only be carrying a small suitcase and backpack so not alot of stuff. I will be using the BTS to get around the city so public transportation isn't a issue.

Just throwing the question out there.

Thanks

I now always use the ARL /MRT / BTS and travel with backpack and large suitcase.

To Nana BTS the easiest way is get the ARL to Phayathai and the BTS to Nana.

At Nana though you will have to carry your luggage down the stairs.

I stay near Asok BTS / MRT and it’s easier to get to road level due to T21 shopping centre being attached to the stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I just take a taxi. I know it is much more expensive than the train but I am usually extremely exhausted from the flight and prefer to just sit in a A/C car directly to my hotel. If you take a taxi, be ready for the driver to potentially try and rip you off by not wanting to turn on the meter. I usually just tell them meter on please and easily pay the highway tolls to my destination. I guess another reason is because I usually combine my Thailand trip with a business trip I take yearly in Asia so I generally have two pieces of large check-in luggage and do not want to lug that around the train/bus.

Thanks for all the info on the train versus taxi.

I have a feeling I will take the train coming into town since I will be by the train because of the currency exchange being down stairs.  Plus I have a feeling it maybe shorter in time because of traffic.  I'm surprised that the BTS doesn't have elevators as an option instead of stairs.  Are wheelchairs not used in Thailand or no laws requiring Handicapped services?  

The BTS stations I have been to (Siam, Asok, Nana, Thon Lo) have an up escalator but not down.

Lifts are installed in some stations but I believe you need to see one of the guards to use them.

Having issues whilst walking with a large suitcase, such as high street kerbs, never mind having to use a wheelchair. Definitely not disabled friendly around a lot of town. But like everything in life there is always a way around it if you look hard enough, or know who to ask.

The BTS stations I have been to (Siam, Asok, Nana, Thon Lo) have an up escalator but not down.

Lifts are installed in some stations but I believe you need to see one of the guards to use them.

I used the elevators in the BTS stations when I had luggage without asking anyone. The only problem is at some stations they only go up one floor and sometimes you need to go up two.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm close to the Sukhumvit MRT or Asoke BTS and I have an 8:15am flight at BKK.  I believe the train opens at 6:00 so I'd have enough time.  

Might be cutting it close if I choose the train to the Airport Express Line...  Last time I took it I remember stairs and some pretty long jaunts with my luggage so I'd probably be sweaty as hell when I get to the airport.  Just wondering what the MRT looks like at 6am, might be bedlam.  

Might just pay 500b for a taxi, all inclusive of tolls like I did last time.

Edited by Gibsons1

I'm close to the Sukhumvit MRT or Asoke BTS and I have an 8:15am flight at BKK.  I believe the train opens at 6:00 so I'd have enough time.  

Might be cutting it close if I choose the train to the Airport Express Line...  Last time I took it I remember stairs and some pretty long jaunts with my luggage so I'd probably be sweaty as hell when I get to the airport.  Just wondering what the MRT looks like at 6am, might be bedlam.  

Might just pay 500b for a taxi, all inclusive of tolls like I did last time.

I get the MRT from Asok to Petchaburi and walk across to Makkasan and grab the ARL and always end up sweaty and all up takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

Think I will grab a taxi next trip even though on principle I don't do taxi's anymore because of a couple poor experiences.