Bangkok Banking

My experience is to do some research, I looked at Bangkok Bank, it stated you needed one of 3 proof, 1 was letter from Embassy, proof from Doctor, or drivers licence with your photo.

And proof of address.

When I went to a local Bangkok Bank, I was told to come back tomorrow to see the manager, when I returned there was no manager there and no appointment.

I was then told again to get a letter for the embassy, however I stood firm and said that this is not a letter from the Embassy. and finally was granted an account.

The bank was in Prathum Thani in Future Park.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The bank situation is chaotic. About 10 years ago the Bank of Thailand set a requirement that one had to have a work permit to open a bank account. It was quickly pointed out that meant no one would be able to get a retirement visa, since it requires a Thai bank account - and retired people don't have work permits. The work permit requirement was quickly dropped, but most bank branches still insist on it. I had a friend who simply started going to different Bangkok Bank branches until he found one that let him open an account with his passport. It think he said it was the fourth branch he had tried. The branches themselves don't even know what they are doing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks........ anyone do banking in BKK? Who do you use? Are they reasonable to deal with? English spoken well enough?

:D

Stay away from Bangkok Bank - they will do your head in. Kasikorn Bank is far better.

Cheers,

Mark

i use Bangkok bank and have never had a problem with my account in the 6 years i have had it,i like their internet banking,simple safe and secure.

as for a visa card,i have been told you need to have had a work permit for 2 years before you can apply.

you get a visa debit card instantly,dont get the chip and pin one just yet thou,very limited on the ATM'S you can use at the moment and only Bangkok bank ATM'S

i set up a Thai pay pal account linked to one of my Bangkok bank accounts,no problems paying and recieving money into and out of my bank with that.

hope this is of some use to you

• 1 year later...

i have had various accounts in BKK over the last 15 years. i used to be able to walk into any bank and get an account but recently they have all demanded work permit etc. Siam commercial are the most up to date bank in Thailand, however, Kasikorn have been fine for my transfers in from abroad.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OH, no problem getting down to Pattaya, been there a few times already. It is just that this time, i need to complete this banking piece of business. And I would like to complete it early on, not on the 3rd or 4th day. It takes time for some of the banking services to complete. Like the ATM, some are almost instant, but I know HSBC took 3 days to get it from Bahrain. If they will allow me an HSBC account, it would be an easier transfer from one account to the other. Since there is no HSBC in Pattaya, I would need to get that done in Bangkok. Right now, I have been on the PA board, and found that KBank is very liberal with their accounts, and have no problem issuing accounts with tourists. Their ATM is an instant one as well, and Internet banking takes only one day to establish from all accounts.

The only issue I have with KBank, is a lack of info on what their ATM will do for me. I need to take this ATM, outside the country and still be able to use it. That means it must be affiliated with a big network. Visa does some, Starr does many in Asia and the USA. Cirrus also does big business world wide. If the KBank is affiliated with any of those, and i have been told it may be with Starr, then it should work outside the country. That is information I may need to get from KBank, since not many board members would know this. Almost no one would need this service to extract funds from their account in Thailand as I will.

Thanks SeanK..... I may still start the trip in Bangkok to do a run at the HSBC office. I have a regular account with them in Bahrain, nothing special. And as of right now, there is almost nothing in that account. But that is due to change soon, and I want to be able to do transfers from there to Thailand.

So how did it all work out for you. This forum thread is from '09 so before I weigh in want to know if still active, Will throw out there that I use Kbank in Bkk and some policies vary branch to branch. And their Los Angeles branch is separate from Thailand. No access between accounts.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I was going to start a new topic when I noticed this heading "Bangkok banking"

I currently live in Udon Thani but due to unforseen circumstances I will be

moving to Bangkok in August.I have a bank account with Krung Thai bank

so I'm wondering if it will be like back home to transfer my account to a local

branch so I can get their swift code for transfers from home.

Any help will be appreciated.