Hilton or JW Marriott on Sukumvit in Dec

Looking at both of these options for a family of 3 - wife, daughter and myself.  4 days when we arrive and we come back to Bangkok later.

The Marriott I am talking about is the one with the roof top bar.  This is quite an attraction to me but the wife would not be interested as she likes to stay in.  Daughter would come up with me if allowed.   The pool however which is another factor is quite small at the Marriott.

Hilton is also same location and is very new.     Rooftop swimming pool which is bigger than Marriott and this comes in over 4 days at £50.00 cheaper.

Anyone recommend either?

Looking at both of these options for a family of 3 - wife, daughter and myself.  4 days when we arrive and we come back to Bangkok later.

The marriott I am talking about is the one with the roof top bar.  This is quite an attraction to me but the wife would not be interested as she likes to stay in.  Daughter would come up with me if allowed.   The pool however which is another factor is quite small at the Marriott.

Hilton is also same location and is very new.     Rooftop swimming pool which is bigger than Marriott and this comes in over 4 days at £50.00 cheaper.

Anyone recommend either?

Just FYI, the Marriott with the roof top bar is not a JW.

The Marriott Sukhumvit 57 (Soi 57) has the rooftop bar Octave.

Currently staying there now for an 8 night stay - got it at a good rate.

Have stayed before and it is in an ok location far enough away from the bar scene but also close enough if you want to venture out.

I have not stayed at the Hilton so can not comment on it.

If you have a few hotel stays planned for the year I would go with the one which has the better promotion on i.e Hilton have 2000 points per night promo and Marriott / SPG double points.

Ah thanks - I did not realise the Marriott was not a JW.  

Tempted for the Hilton only due to a slightly lower price.   Its actually unbelievable the amount room rates go up when there is an extra such as a kid and usually they are only putting in an extra put up bed.

Trivago linking to Expedia have the cheapest rates.     Was liking the Sofatel but too expensive. Also these 5 star hotels seem to have gone up a lot since I first started going - exchange rate and more tourists I guess.

Marriott has best rate guarantee so will match lowest verified rate  and add extra discount on the difference - https://www.marriott.com/online-hotel-booking.mi#bestrate

If the child is under 12 you should not be paying for them to occupy the room, you can check this on Marriott website and a check for tonight shows same rate for 2 adults or 2 adults and  a child under 12.

I do see the rooms listed as 1 king or 2 twin/single though so not sure on how large the twin is and you do need to pay extra for a roll away.

Somewhere like Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has 2 Queen beds but room rate is higher but if having to pay for the roll away maybe is similar in price to the Marriott.

Booking through the hotels loyalty program will also get you free WiFi.

I have stayed at aLoft, Four Points, The Westin, Le Meridien, Sheraton Grande, Marriott Sukhumvit 57 and Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong so can answer any questions about them.

MrFreeze, what rate did you get at the Marriott?

How is the roof top bar there?

8 nights for 26,910.93 THB inc. Tax etc. Marriott Members Flexible Rate

Stayed 14-17 April and was 11,016.00 THB inc. Tax etc. Marriott Members Flexible Rate

I am a Gold Marriott / SPG member so have lounge access here which is worth at least 1,000 THB a day for the breakfast, day time snacks and drinks at night.

Have not ventured up to Octave this trip but last trip went just after 5 and watched the sunset before heading off into Thong Lo a visiting some normal bars.

They have a happy hour on their signature cocktails 5-7PM approx. and regular drinks are expensive but so were the Thong Lo bars we visited.

Tonight standing waiting for the BTS at Phrom Phong station and saw the Hilton which does look a bit far from the station where as Marriott is a few minutes away from Thong Lo station but you do need to be confident crossing Soi 55 and get an understanding of the traffic light system.

Ok thanks and all good stuff. Did not realise the Hilton was a bit further away but no probs. Mind you reading a lot of tripadvisor reports you do wonder if the people actually stay in these places with so many contradictions in there reviews.

So we are going Dec hence higher rates. Any good tips on when to book - now, a month before etc. I know it's virtually impossible to second guess but rates seem up and down all the time. We also stayed renaissance and that was always by far the cheapest on all sites but now it's one of the highest.

I loved the Renaissance but the rates were higher than Marriot 57  for the dates I am here, in fact all throughout the year when I have checked random dates.

I booked at a Marriott Rewards Member rate which is in most cases flexible and cheapest.

The Renaissance did have pre paid rates but still higher than what I am paying.

​I would join Marriott Rewards if you have not already done so and check the dates you want and book on a flexible rate.

If a pre paid deal comes that is within your budget then maybe book it and cancel the flexible booking.

When I stayed at Renaissance the rate actually dropped once so I booked and cancelled the higher rate booking.

• 4 weeks later...

So with Mr Freeze advice I booked onMarriott rewards site and got a price of £637.00 for 4 nights - ouch.   Hotel.com are showing same room at £500.00 (also booked) but both can be cancelled a day before arrival.  

Now I am going to see if Marriott will honour their pledge of cheapest price and if we find it cheaper they will match and give 25% discount so waiting to see if they will do it at around £400.00.   I got a feeling that they have a clause that will get out of it but in any case I can cancel so worth a try.

Will let you know if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Well despite the room being cheaper with Hotel.com. Marriott will not accept the claim as for some reason they think £500.00 is more expensive than £637.00.   They seem to be comparing their rate before tax with the hotels.com rate after tax.   We have gone back and forth and now they are insistant that when I get to the hotel I will pay much more than £500.00 despite hotels.com guaranteeing this is the final price.  I accept if we have extras yes but Marriott don't seem to accept this. 

I have cancelled the direct Marriott booking and if at the end of the day it is cheaper with receipts I will escalate to a complaint.   My friend who deals with hotels a lot said they often refuse to match.

Marriott Thonglor Executive Apartments & Marriott Sukhumvit Park Executive Apartments 

The Marriott Thonglor is actually 2 hotels. I like the Marriot Executive Apartments at the Marriott Thonglor which occupy the lower 12 floors I believe. A 1 bedroom apartment in the Executive Apartments with full kitchen, living room and bedroom is good for me and probably perfect for a young family of 3 although you might be interested in the 2 bedroom option. I book way in advance. I pay between 2880 to 3100 baht for the 1 bedroom apartment dealing directly with Marriott because I am a Marriott Rewards member and have Marriott CC so I get the best rates and recieve points for my Marriott Stays. I find the best deals are usually through Marriott (see my prices above) although other booking sites can sometimes beat Marriott on a short opportunity window.

The Octave Rooftop bar is very cool. You can sit at tables right on the edge of the precipice. There are a couple of restaurants in the hotel. The "coffee shop" has excellent buffet breakfasts. The hotel is 1 block from the Thonglor BTS for easy transport to the nighlife. Thonglor and Ekamai is a very nice upscale neighborhood with plenty of quality restaurants and bars (not pick up bars although there are some G-Clubs and discos in close proximity.)

Just make sure you are booking the Marriott Thonglor Executive Apartments and not the Marriott Thonglor Hotel. Both hotels share the same facilities - lobby, pool, bar, restarurants, and exercise room. Different elevators service the apartments vrs the hotel rooms.

Another great option is the Marriott Park Executive Apartments Hotel on Soi 24. The 1 bedroom apartments here are more spacious than the Executive apartments at the Thonglor hotel. I pay a litte more to stay here - 3100 baht. No rooftop bar, but nice pool. Up to you. I like both hotels

Edited by gogul