The secret to Agoda secret deals

Knew it was a bit risky, but had a bit of time to kill and was curious about whether or not the Agoda secret deals were worthwhile. Then I found the following video which is pretty much spot on: 

I'll spare you the procedure as the video explains it well, but today's 4* sukhumvit deal with 1880+ reviews is the Mermaid hotel. The number of reviews was very precise (the Mermaid was at 1884 reviews when I made the booking), so that is probably the most important factor to look at. The only other possible hotel, which I preferred, had 50 more reviews.. 

In any case, I'm glad I've tried it, but in the end you save VERY little money compared to sites like Hotwire in other countries. In this particular case, I saved only about $15 over 3 days for such a big gamble and despite their claim that the deal could save you more than $20 per day, so it's pretty much a scam. Also, if you're not careful, you may end up in a really crappy location: the other 4* currently at the same price is most likely the golden pearl hotel which is near Bang Chak BTS. I'm sure it's nice, but it certainly not an ideal location if you want to spend the night at Soi Cowboy...