Don't laugh.... "Light" Beers question.

haha, I don't drink much, but when I do, I actually prefer a "light" beer. I'll have a Heineken Light, or something like that on the rare occasions that I do have a beer here at home in the USA.

My question is, in typical beer bars, gogos, beer gardens etc, what kind of "light" beers are available?

Asking the waitress seems like pulling teeth, and they don't know or have a clue half the time. I'd rather just know a few locally available light beers and say the name directly, instead of asking.

Can you please post some easily available light beers? I'm not picky since I'm not a beer connoisseur or anything. Just want something light, refreshing, cheap, and low calories.

I've had the regular Heinekens, Chang, Singha, etc... but all have been the regulars. Looking for "light".

Thanks!

Singha Light is available but not in all bars / GoGo's etc.

Tiger Light is another if they do not have SIngha Light.

Failing that then I am not sure, SML is low carb only and not a traditional light beer i.e. alcohol content.

I am a Singha Light drinker, nothing wrong with drinking light beer especially if like me you start drinking at 11am and are still going 14 hours later.

You cant go past San Miguel beer. It is a low carbohydrate or another word low carb beer, a low sugar content which means low calories or kilojoules compared with similar beers. Light beer can mean different things in different countries. In Australia a Light Beer refers to Low alcohol content. In the USA I believe it refers to low calories. San Miguel has an alcohol content similar to the Chang or Singha beers you have tried. In Australia it would be called a full strength beer or heavy beer (not light).  I drink mine with a wedge of lemon pronounced "Ma now" (said quickly) in Thai speak. If you buy it at the local 7/11 it is priced more than the local beers however as a general rule in a bar you would pay the same price or close to the other beers on offer. You can buy low alcohol beers at the 7/11's or Tesco's but I think it would be fair to say in the bars and clubs low alcohol beer is not generally on offer. (Mrfreeze above might correct me?) It is not uncommon and in fact it is a Thai way of drinking beer to drink it from a glass full of ice. So if you wish to lower the alcohol content at a bar you could always ask for this. Forget asking the waitress about the beers...she would know more about pulling teeth or growing rice.....  Cheers.......... (Chong Gaeow)

Edited by romill

Yeah agree about the differences about what Light means. Caused some drunken confusion when I visited the U.S. 555

I'm a new convert to Thai style beer in glass of ice. Slows your total beer intake and is good in the heat.