Fast Taxi Meters In Thailand

deckard69

So I have no problem getting taxi drivers to turn on the meter.  Some drivers are incredibly honest and switch it on before I open my mouth and some not so much.  My general rule is I won't take a taxi in Bkk unless the meter is switched on. 

Now, I know the meter should start at 35bt and it should go up by 2bt after the first 1.3km and then raise by 2bt every 0.3km.  Most of the taxis I used on my last trip were tip top, but a few I got into had fast meters.  These fast meters would jump up after 1km.  I even had one taxi that was clocking 'stopped time' at the same time as driving which of course caused the meter to rise faster.

I knew the meters were fast, but I didn't bother to say anything.  I could have jumped out, but paying the 37 or 39bt meter and then getting another taxi would have ended up costed me.  I just thought there was no point in fighting with the driver over something like 20bt on a 130bt ride.  (I took a few long rides, like 15km) 

My question is this, how do you guys, who live in bkk or visit there a lot, deal with this?  Do you suck it up and say TIT? Do you tell the drive he meter is fast and work out a cheaper fare? 

So far, I haven't had a taxi with that fast meter. Or I had it but didn't realize it.

Most of the time, I only take taxi to/from and hotel/airport. I know how much that would cost. I mainly use BTS or MRT to go around in town. I only take taxi if I go to some place not serviced by the two. Or I am going out with my friends or colleagues. The cost of a taxi ride may be cheaper than 3 or 4 people to take BTS or MRT.

So I guess if I finally have a taxi running that fast meter. Except the driver charge me 500 THB for a 50 THB ride, I wouldn't bother a 20 or 40 overcharge.

I've only had it happen one time before where the meter was going up suspiciously fast, ended up being 150bt for a journey probably should be 70-80 baht.

I've heard good things about these "All Thai" Prius taxis that are on the rise but I've not had one in the vicinity when I've needed a ride. Apparently they always put the meter on plus the drivers are well presented and careful.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Like everyone I've been had with the Taxi's and as sure as the buffalo will never get sick again I will get stung again. My tips though...Be happy with the driver... don't be serious... that's the Thai way. I speak shit Thai but use a few words like "Meter  D My" in a jovial way. Is meter working ok?... The usual response is "My D" which means no it doesn't work good as in the driver is working to hard for what is being earned ... A response like "Cia Jy Dooway"...I feel sorry for you also...sets the mark and a smile...You are both on the same terms...

Another ploy I use is to bargain a set price with the driver and no meter... You must know however what it would usually cost in the first place... A trip from Suwanaboomy to Nana for example around 450bht + tolls. By doing this the driver knows you know how much roughly it should cost. 

At the end of the day I tip the driver for being honest if I have not been ripped off....

"Giptung coon Thai, Giptung coon Farang". Price for local's and price for tourist's

Out of all my years in Thailand many of them in Bangkok I've never had this problem. I'd say it's more wide spread in the Philippines. I've heard of very little incidences of people getting overcharged by a metered taxi. Getting them to use the meter is another story but it's pretty simple if you speak Thai or are adamant they put it on. 

hey guys, thanks for all the comments.  If you're not watching the taxi meter at the beginning of the ride, it's hard to tell if the meter is running fast.  You have to see that first increment increase at 1km to know something is wrong, otherwise it's near impossible to tell, unless you have a meter chart.

Some taxis have a meter chart hanging from the seat that list out distance and how much the cost should be. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is an App DLT Check in for rating drivers etc.

I have it but never used it.

Might be worth investigating further the usefulness of it.

Airport to Nana I would be paying 300 + tolls (75) from memory.

I can't get that DLT app to install on my Android phone.

• 1 month later...

Well had my first trip in a taxi from the airport with a meter that ran fast early February and to top it off he wanted an extra 100B over the fare.

Not too pleased paying it and gave him what was on the meter.

Driver was chatty and we joked about stuff on the way to the hotel and he knew full well it was not my first trip, but still he pulled the scam.

I have a photo of the ticket from the airport but the email address to make a complaint bounces back.

I took two trips to the airport on the same day with same staring points. First one was cheaper by about 50-100 baht even though there was more traffic.

Second trip I just tipped a lot less. I didn't say anything tho. So my out of pocket remains same.